McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have one of the LRB pistons, I would not buy another unless it was the only thing available on the planet. They are trying to sell a one size fits all and it can't really work on all three cylinders ("A", "B", "C") as the bores are growing by about 0.0006 each as you go up. By the time you buy the piston and the bearings, you could justify a few more dollars to get an OEM kit.

To Ron and Brian - nice job of disguising that off brand saw but your, er, bar is showing.

Mark

I have one of the LRB pistons, I would not buy another unless it was the only thing available on the planet. They are trying to sell a one size fits all and it can't really work on all three cylinders ("A", "B", "C") as the bores are growing by about 0.0006 each as you go up. By the time you buy the piston and the bearings, you could justify a few more dollars to get an OEM kit.

To Ron and Brian - nice job of disguising that off brand saw but your, er, bar is showing.

Mark

It looks like you had a great time at the MM GTG. Way too far for me unfortunately.

thought i would butt in and show you guys what ive been up to lately only my old 700 just one picture for now..yall be nice[emoji56]
5333f4ef8ca2d1e93097d9bff626d1eb.jpg

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

Nice looking saw Rhino

I'm reassembling this 7-10A and can't get my head around how this killswitch circuit works? Can someone confirm I have assembled this correctly - it's a simple mechanism so even I surely cannot screw it up? How does that brass piece open / close a circuit given its touching plastic and connected to ground via the screw unless it touches the frame when pushed forward? Probably something really simple I have missed.

IMG_0571.JPG IMG_0572.JPG

Are you missing another metal piece? The 2 pcs need to contact to close the loop and kill the engine. My 1-43 has a metal spring attached to the side cover to make the contact.

Homelite collector in training [emoji879]

Nice looking saw Rhino

I'm reassembling this 7-10A and can't get my head around how this killswitch circuit works? Can someone confirm I have assembled this correctly - it's a simple mechanism so even I surely cannot screw it up? How does that brass piece open / close a circuit given its touching plastic and connected to ground via the screw unless it touches the frame when pushed forward? Probably something really simple I have missed.

View attachment 765900 View attachment 765901

The switch sides forward and contacts the metal handle , grounding out the coil, it looks correct too me.

D901F664-4554-42D5-A9EE-4E02E5B3AE2F.jpeg
Hello everyone. I’m new here and this is my first post so bear with me. A web search for info on McCulloch saws led me here.
Anyways I Picked up this PM 850 at a yard sale down the block last weekend. I’m not an arborist by any means, I’m just your average homeowner who is familiar with saws, but when I seen an older saw with a big bar on it, and a tag that says $65. I couldn’t get out of there with it quick enough!

When I got it home I did the basic checks, added fresh mix, set the choke, and pulled the cord. She lit right off and idled, throttle response is excellent. Did a few test cuts in maple with no problems, chain needs a sharpening but otherwise looks good. It’s a .404 pitch 96DL so 32 inch bar ?
I was so tickled with my find I’ve picked up two more older saws in the last week! One a homelite xl12 and a McCulloch mini Mac 30. Needless to say I am hooked! Looks like the shop stove will be burning Tamarack next year instead of orchard trimmings.

Thanks guys! I didn’t know what I had until I started searching on the web, and then I couldn’t believe it. I own a stihl ms271 I bought new a few years ago, and before that I’ve just owned the little poulan cheapies so this is my first foray into vintage big CC saws and I’m hooked.

Back