The Old Giants

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My Mac 790. I gave up trying to get it running for now.....somebody filled motor with oil to store it and it made a big mess. Cylinder and piston look fantastic through the exhaust, but it's only blowing 60psi. I think rings are sticky, but sled season is approaching so saws are shelfed for now....20191004_231935.jpg

"Sigh", I just wish I could find one of these around here. Apparently no redwood killers in my neck of the woods. We have some 50"+ oaks here, but I'm guessing the " I can do more with less" mentallity down here kept a lot of sales out.
I would love to find an old Mac SP125 around here that was a local saw, but I dont think I'll live long enough. Just love to get to run one one day.

"Sigh", I just wish I could find one of these around here. Apparently no redwood killers in my neck of the woods. We have some 50"+ oaks here, but I'm guessing the " I can do more with less" mentallity down here kept a lot of sales out.
I would love to find an old Mac SP125 around here that was a local saw, but I dont think I'll live long enough. Just love to get to run one one day.

True. Living in an area with no "big wood" culture and history is a big disadvantage for fans of heavy saws. I remember searching my first big MAC a long time ago, but ended up not really bad after all (no bragging intended, I know I am outnumbered by many of this site, LOL. But it takes much effort and time; nothing worthwile in life comes easy !!!.

DSC00682.JPG DSC00683.JPG

That being said, Mc Culloch did not enjoy a good reputation with loggers around here , so many saws were tossed rapidly and replaced by local brands. Bad starters, very loud and poor reliability are the most common complaints I hear. I still wonder sometimes why these big Macs are so much appreciated in the US, maybe it"s the "american" thing.

You need to be an American to understand them, McCullochs were built for us, they are a reflection of our culture, as was anything we built and used.
We had V8s and big sixes, Europe had sewing machine motors, yes the times have changed, the Old World inbredness has inflected us, toleration of the bold, aggressive and somewhat intemperate American way of life has faded fast. I thank God that the core of what made us American, is still with us. American, the Old World had been blended into a homogeneous goo.

Right on RandyMac, well said. I love them cause of the heritage and history behind the company. Robert McCulloch was a gearhead and a genius. Any company that's associated with racing karts, hot rod blowers, and racing boats is a company I'm gonna like.

Back