Motor oil bar oil?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie294life

Brush Popper and Amateur Tree Butcher
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I know this post will probably start a fight but here goes. I have some extra motor oil laying around, want to use it for bar oil. I also occasionally get some used oil, would like to filter it and use it as well. My dad used to do it in the older stihl saws, don’t know how or if he added any additives...he was cheap though, a lot of stuff he did didn’t make sense because he was “too” cheap sometimes.

Well I learned the hard way in the beginning I tried it and had chunks of metal missing from the bar rails. Luckily my husky dealer sold new bar oil from 55 gallon drums. No more used motor oil. The good quality bars were expensive.

I wonder how much a 55 gallon drum of bar oil costs today? If your in the bizz the 55 gallon drums of motor oil, hydraulic oil, 90 wt gear oil, and bar oil is the way to go

Well I learned the hard way in the beginning I tried it and had chunks of metal missing from the bar rails. Luckily my husky dealer sold new bar oil from 55 gallon drums. No more used motor oil. The good quality bars were expensive.

I wonder how much a 55 gallon drum of bar oil costs today? If your in the bizz the 55 gallon drums of motor oil, hydraulic oil, 90 wt gear oil, and bar oil is the way to go
I’m not in “the biz” but I’m constantly changing the oil in something and there’s always leftover 1/2 quarts, 1/4 quarts. Usually it’s 20-50 or 10-30 though. A little different than the straight 30wt that used to be the norm for everything, small engine oil, bar oil...premix....lol.

Clean engine oil been there in a pinch lately too.

I actually use premix in the log splitter engine it pro longs it’s life.

Clean engine oil been there in a pinch lately too.

I actually use premix in the log splitter engine it pro longs it’s life.
I used to cut clean oil and run it back in with regular 4 cycle gas and burn it in my Honda mower, if I had any extra laying around. Never made a bit of difference and disposed of it. I may get back to doing it that way, it seems to sling too much to work as bar oil.

The number one oil for bar lube is Mobil vactra machine way oil. Very tacky. Working in the machine shop rebuilding, we drained the lube oil system and I’d save the oil when I could.

I would never use motor oil as a bar oil...
Mobil Vactra, as all way oils for Metallworking Machines, will work Great.

But looking at this from a biological aspect i switched to Stihl BioPlus some Time ago. I mean, would anyone here drain the Oil of his car directly in his garden?

It's nothing else when you use mineralic bar oil... And modern biologic oils will NOT cause Problems with your chainsaw.

I've run used motor oil in a pinch as bar oil. It made a mess of my saw and slung off the chain way too easily. I won't do it again. I have mixed 90 wt marine gearcase oil with new 10w-30 and it did much better. It worked fine, only downside was my saw smelled like dead fish.

Back