ms440 oil gusher!!%#*&

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I got this in a pile of saws that didn't run for very cheap. Sold everything except for this one. rebuilt the car and it runs! It's been sitting unused on a shelf. Today I decided to put a bar on it, and give it a try. Filled up the oil tank, got ti to start, let it run for a minute, and realized I had put a LARGE pool of bar oil on the shop floor. Appears ro be coming out from the bottom front are of the saw. In the picture is a somewhat hidden small hole that I'm guessing is some kind of oil supply line, Have vert little experience with oilers. Hoping I don't have to tear the saw apart, but it seems like I may have to remove both the full wrap and the tank handle to access that area? Was hoping to avoid that..... Any idea what happened? At least it looks pretty! That hole is right underneath where handle attaches to bottom of saw.IMG_3281.jpegIMG_3280.jpeg

As above the different vibrations between the two sides of the saw would grind out the hole. I suppose you'll need to separate the two sides of the saw to get access and get it cleaned up and repaired. Not an easy repair, but keep us posted.

I got this in a pile of saws that didn't run for very cheap. Sold everything except for this one. rebuilt the car and it runs! It's been sitting unused on a shelf. Today I decided to put a bar on it, and give it a try. Filled up the oil tank, got ti to start, let it run for a minute, and realized I had put a LARGE pool of bar oil on the shop floor. Appears ro be coming out from the bottom front are of the saw. In the picture is a somewhat hidden small hole that I'm guessing is some kind of oil supply line, Have vert little experience with oilers. Hoping I don't have to tear the saw apart, but it seems like I may have to remove both the full wrap and the tank handle to access that area? Was hoping to avoid that..... Any idea what happened? At least it looks pretty! That hole is right underneath where handle attaches to bottom of saw.View attachment 1157932View attachment 1157934
Two washers, one nut and one screw. JB Weld FTW.
Use stainless steel hardware.

Sell that thing.

Yup, not an oil line, thats a hole in the oil tank/ crank case.
Someone hamfisted a longer screw into the handle and let her rip!
Welding or jbweld ,but still requires a full tear down either way.
Not the way I just described above. Carb cleaner is all he needs and patience with some good tape on a stick. Fixed several of those with a wooden wedge jammed in there and the front AV lower screws removed.

sorry, didn't quite understand. Use screw, nut and washers AND jb weld? Or just the jb weld
All of it. Put the flat head screw with washer on the outside. A nut with washer in the hole. Squeeze JB between them. Tighten the nut. Tape up the outside area or you will wish you did. Grease is a good release agent in a pinch.

You do have some electrical tape or masking tape?
1/4" drive socket set with a swivel?

JB Weld can work for a while (on mine it was probably 6 years), but I recently ended up with a new case half. On the other hand, it wasn't a too long screw, somebody had used it to repair a hole in the bottom of the tank. It was in hidden behind the front AV mount, and used an inch long #12 wood screw. At least they used stainless.

Latest posts

Back