Stihl 038 magnum

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burchie70

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I bought a 038 magnum from a guy and it runs good but when I shut it off and take the bar oil cap off the oil is boiling. The oiler is working fine because I’m getting a tank of oil to a tank of gas. I should say it runs out of gas and there’s still some oil left. After I noticed this I rebuilt the carb and put a new plug in it. I’m using stihl bar and chain oil and I’m also running 32:1 synthetic oil mix. Any idea what would cause this ? Thanks for any help

Attachments

• IMG_4561.jpeg
    IMG_4561.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
I will look when I get home to see if it has the heat shield. I believe it’s all original, the guy I bought it from said he bought it new from a local dealer years ago. Thanks guys

I looked last night and the saw doesn’t have any kind of a heat shield. I have an IPL I got from Ray Benson but it doesn’t show any kind of a shield. Anyone have a part number for it ? I found one for a 044 but not sure if it will work or not. Thanks for any help

First. I think some part of the saw is generating too much heat. Figuring out what's going on with that will be harder, but better, than trying to insulate the oil tank.

Second. It is possible the 038Ms have some heat issues. Mine came to me with the paint covering the top of the oil tank burnt. And, a hole burned in the plastic top cover. But, boiling oil? No.

Third. After the 038, Stihl did add insulation to some saws. The 036, and many others, got so-called "cooling plates" between the cylinder and the muffler. At some point, Stihl started adding glue-on aluminum foil to the top of the oil tank (maybe when cat mufflers came along?). And, at least for the MS441, they had a insulating pad in place of the foil.

I suggest, posting some pics. Muffler, top of oil tank, clutch drum, and such.

You've taken the muffler apart for a look-see?

Roy

I looked last night and the saw doesn’t have any kind of a heat shield. I have an IPL I got from Ray Benson but it doesn’t show any kind of a shield. Anyone have a part number for it ? I found one for a 044 but not sure if it will work or not. Thanks for any help
The 038 never had a foil tape heat shield under the muffler. I’m thinking your seeing air bubbles in the oil, not actual boiling from heat.

I was away all weekend but I just took some pictures. I didn’t have time to check the oil tank vent yet or remove everything to see the clutch drum but I will check it later. Thanks for all the ideas

Attachments

• IMG_0554.jpeg
    IMG_0554.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0553.jpeg
    IMG_0553.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0552.jpeg
    IMG_0552.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0551.jpeg
    IMG_0551.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1
The 038 never had a foil tape heat shield under the muffler. I’m thinking you’re seeing air bubbles in the oil, not actual boiling from heat.
When I was running the saw I could actually feel the heat coming off it and that’s why I shut it off. I had to use a screwdriver to take the oil cap off because it was too hot to touch. Once I check everything over and the 20” of snow we got yesterday melts down I’ll try it again. Thanks

Sure is a fine old saw! Congratulations on that deal! I had a brand new 038 Magnum,back in 1990. Wicked nice saw. Cut innumerable large Spruce,Fir and Pine with it a couple Winters, ('90-'93ish?)on a marked wood job for a really great landowner; and,obviously ran it in alot of Sugar Maple,Ash,Yellow Birch and Beech around here,cutting higher grade hardwood logs,and on the other end of that.....firewood. Never seemed to have heat issues with it. It was a bit heavy......but cut like Hell. Enjoy running that fine old Stihl,Sir!

Does not appear to be too much evidence of overheating enough to boil oil.
Would expect the paint on the cases to be at the very least yellowed at worse scorched and a too hot to touch oil cap- being plastic and all, should just about be melting and or distorting.

Does not appear to be too much evidence of overheating enough to boil oil.
Would expect the paint on the cases to be at the very least yellowed at worse scorched and a too hot to touch oil cap- being plastic and all, should just about be melting and or distorting.
Well I’m telling you what it did and if you’re calling me a liar go some where else. I’m not looking to argue with anyone just looking for help. I ran the saw one time after I bought it and the oil was boiling.

Latest posts

Back