Poulan Pro 5020AV

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EastinColl

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi all.
I’ve got a Poulin pro 5020AV that I bought non running awhile back, and I cannot figure out why I'm not getting any bar oil coming out. I took the clutch off to inspect the oiler. Worm gear looks completely fine. I did disassemble it and cleaned it anyway. Filter is not clogged. Oiler line is in good condition. There is a small hole behind the plate the routes the oil that I believe is a vent. It is not clogged.

I'm stumped. Any help appreciated. Thanks

What bar is on it? Got pics?

I can tell about you a MANDATORY MOD (not sure why they left the factory w/out) after you get it oiling.

What bar is on it? Got pics?

I can tell about you a MANDATORY MOD (not sure why they left the factory w/out) after you get it oiling.
It’s just the stock 20 inch bar that came with it. I forgot to add but I also made sure both the oiler holes in the bar were not clogged as well. Not that that would make any difference in not getting any oil.

Attachments

• IMG_2998.jpeg
    IMG_2998.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2999.jpeg
    IMG_2999.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1
So, you are running the saw, with the clutch cover and bar off the saw, and there is no oil coming out of the Port
Correct. The residual oil in the pic is from me trying to prime the oiler by pressurizing the tank. Still no dice after that.

Just track the oil from tank to where the oil comes out on the bar. Similar to tracing where power stops if you familiar with troubleshooting electrical issues. Take off the pump and put some oil in the oil reservoir and see if oil trickles out the nipple. If so then put the pump back on and spin the flywheel over with a drill and with the spark plug out and see if the pump actually pumps oil. The internals of the pump could be bad, not just the worm gear.

Just track the oil from tank to where the oil comes out on the bar. Similar to tracing where power stops if you familiar with troubleshooting electrical issues. Take off the pump and put some oil in the oil reservoir and see if oil trickles out the nipple. If so then put the pump back on and spin the flywheel over with a drill and with the spark plug out and see if the pump actually pumps oil. The internals of the pump could be bad, not just the worm gear.
Oil does trickle out with the pump off. I have turned it over with the plug out to see if it pumps anything as well, with the same results. I’ve kinda come to the conclusion that it really can’t be anything else other than the pump. It just seems hard to believe with the condition it's in.

Those pump oil anytime the engine is running, the pump is powered by the crankshaft not the clutch, if I remember rite the pump drive can be misassembeled, pull the clutch and give it some study. (I had 5 of them)

Pretty good sign that if it is supposed to pump and it isn't, and you have oil at the pump then the pump is most likely bad. However, you did mention you took it apart, so before buying a new one double check to make sure it is assembled together correctly as old guy said. Check the gear on the crank as well, most likely not the issue but if the gear in the pump is not spinning then it won't work.

Those pump oil anytime the engine is running, the pump is powered by the crankshaft not the clutch, if I remember rite the pump drive can be misassembeled, pull the clutch and give it some study. (I had 5 of them)
Yes sir, it runs off a spring that turns with the crank. I did not mean to make it sound like it ran off the clutch. More so meant I removed the clutch to access the pump.
The pump drive is assembled correctly from all the diagrams I've seen. I've got a new one on the way just to make sure that's not the issue.

Pretty good sign that if it is supposed to pump and it isn't, and you have oil at the pump then the pump is most likely bad. However, you did mention you took it apart, so before buying a new one double check to make sure it is assembled together correctly as old guy said. Check the gear on the crank as well, most likely not the issue but if the gear in the pump is not spinning then it won't work.
The spring on the crank seems to be in good condition. Turns fine with the crank. The gear on the pump turns fine too. From what I've been able to find, it's assembled correctly. Only two pieces are the worm gear with the metal rod that inserts into the cylinder which creates the pump. These snap into the housing.

I've got another one on the way, hopefully that's all it is. Just funny that the pump seems to have no visible signs of wear.

I did not look at a IPL for your Poulan but a pump kit for those is very reasonable priced. ($20 or less usually for some Poulans)
The fiber gear on the pump is driven y usually a coil type spring on the crankshaft. (which is included in some kits and requires proper installing so as to not damage the fiber pump gear.
You can find you tube vides of how to remove and install the kit and the crankshaft spring.
Make sure the plastic case is not melted and damaged at the pump are due to Bubba running the saw with the chain brake on and having a major meltdown. of the plastic in the area.

I never done the 5020 oiler yet. But if like the 295 you got to have metal plate on with bar tighten to make sure it hold the rubber for a seal.
Otherwise it just bubbles not making a good seal without.

The older 2750 used a screw there to hold metal plate down. So I did that to 295 too and it worked to test without bar.

Attachments

• p295oiiiiiiiiiiii.jpg
    p295oiiiiiiiiiiii.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 0
  • p295oiiiiiiiii.jpg
    p295oiiiiiiiii.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 0
  • p295oiiiiii.jpg
    p295oiiiiii.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 0
  • p295oiiiiiiiiiiiii.jpg
    p295oiiiiiiiiiiiii.jpg