Stihl 038 Magnum chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DisturbeD

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So I've own a variety or 038's the last few years and they made too many models. I've seen the magnum where it says magnum of the tag and then after that they made the magnum 2 the same way. I've recently acquired a 038 that had a magnum sticker on it instead of it being on the tag. From what I've been told the magnum is 52mm but does this go for all of them or just the later ones? This one seems older.

The 038 I recently got bought had a magnum sticker and a red lever tank. Saw seems great other then needing a muffler cover and a tank.

So I've own a variety or 038's the last few years and they made too many models. I've seen the magnum where it says magnum of the tag and then after that they made the magnum 2 the same way. I've recently acquired a 038 that had a magnum sticker on it instead of it being on the tag. From what I've been told the magnum is 54mm but does this go for all of them or just the later ones? This one seems older.

The 038 I recently got bought had a magnum sticker and a red lever tank. Saw seems great other then needing a muffler cover and a tank.
The Mag is 52mm and a very good, torquey saw.

Early 52mm 038’s we’re mag II later models with translucent fuel tank were just “magnum”.
Yes sorry about that I should have looked it up again before making the post. I bought a piston to throw in my other 038 mag that is 52mm but I guess I've forgotten since then.

Early 52mm 038’s we’re mag II later models with translucent fuel tank were just “magnum”.
Then I have the later model because it has the translucent tank. Being a red lever I guess it was a earlier model. I've not owned a mag ll yet but I now have the model with the magnum sticker and the magnum on the badge

Then I have the later model because it has the translucent tank. Being a red lever I guess it was a earlier model. I've not owned a mag ll yet but I now have the model with the magnum sticker and the magnum on the badge
The red lever is most likely manufactured between 1991 and 1993. I’ve got a red lever 038 mag it’s a 1993 model, other one I have is black lever 1995. A lot of people think the red lever saws are special, it’s simply a OSHA compliance thing Stihl did in the early 90’s.

The red lever is most likely manufactured between 1991 and 1993. I’ve got a red lever 038 mag it’s a 1993 model, other one I have is black lever 1995. A lot of people think the red lever saws are special, it’s simply a OSHA compliance thing Stihl did in the early 90’s.
Yeah I've heard the stuff behind the red lever deal. When I got this saw I didn't think it was a mag because of the sticker and then I seen others just like it so had to question if it had the bigger cylinder or not.

Nice. I believe the fuel tanks are still available, kinda spendy though. Muffler covers are available as well. I can check availability tomorrow at work.
I might have a cover here but if not I have extra mufflers for it. It's the tank that's I definitely need. I made a wtb on here before I made this post for a tank. I have a old metal tank here but I'd rather not use that one if I don't have too. I have a few 038's atm. I have a odd 038 as well the super pro.

I might have a cover here but if not I have extra mufflers for it. It's the tank that's I definitely need. I made a wtb on here before I made this post for a tank. I have a old metal tank here but I'd rather not use that one if I don't have too. I have a few 038's atm. I have a odd 038 as well the super pro.
I’ve seen a 038 super pro, definitely an odd one. Would be interesting to get some info on it.

Latest posts

Back