MS362 Oiling adjustment

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onebadsob3

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
My MS361 has an adjustment screw on the bottom of the saw that allows you to use more or less oil while running the saw. It has a diagram and then a hole where you adjust it at. On my MS362, I look at the bottom and there is a diagram like the MS361 showing you can turn it left to right for more or less oil, but I can not find or see where you actually adjust it.

Maybe the saw doesn't have it, but I noticed it on the underneath so I thought to ask if does/doesn't have a screw you can adjust for more oil?

Thanks, Charlie

I run 25" bar on my MS362 non Mtronic... my saw has oil adjustment but I never could get enough oil to what I like . I typically like to run a tank of oil with tank of fuel. It was more like 3/4 of tank of oil to tank of fuel. I end up installing a MS461R oil pump. Not a problem with my MS361, it has enough adjustment.

Yes, my saw is just a MS362. I bought it from a pawnshop back around thanksgiving for $400. Told them that I didn't need it but if they wanted $400 out the door, I'd buy it and they took it. Glad I did with the issues I'm having with the MS361(maybe have them figured out)? It came with a good chain and a 28" bar. After really inspecting it, I had noticed it looked like it had a new fuel tank on it, air filter was good, maybe newer plug but the rim sprocket had some wear. I just bought a new kit that came with the clutch, bearing, sprocket and accessories to put on it and it runs great.

I'll look again, but it is at the farm at the moment, but it seems like when I looked last, it had the same markings for turning the oil up or down, but I didn't see a slot to put a small flat blade in to adjust it. My 361 has a spot so I didn't know if I am overlooking it or maybe somehow they put a tank on it that is covering the hole?

I'll look over it and take a picture and post back if I don't find it.

Dang... sorry just saw your post wish I had earlier I had my MS362 out Sunday I would taken a picture of the oiler adjustment. My 362 is older model but one after Stihlchanged the emissions on that line. General Stihl changed the model number as they update that line but older/initial MS362 are better than mine. Wondering if yours is also a change on that model line, it should have adjustment. If you pull the clutch and oiler cover is there a screw on bottom of the oiler. If so you might just drill a access hole in the case so you can adjust it. Or you could update the oil like I did and drill the access hole. Or... pull the oiler and just crank it up and reinstall it. OEM oilers are little spendy ~ $80 ... heck its been so long ago can't remember what I paid. But MS461R oiler is the one you want and its bolt in. Once you set your oiler you should have to adjust it unless you change bars lengths. Some people also drill out the side hole on their bars, I heard that helps but never done that myself. Stihl bar side hole are chaffered so... you might search that before you do it. Bigger hole less pressure but the oiler are gear pump so volume oiler rate not sure the bigger hole would help is why I have not done that myself.

Newer Stihl bars came with a very reduced size oil port hole to the chain , one of mine was almost closed off with paint right from the supplier. I drill all the new bars with a 1/8" bit while angling the hole so that the passing drive links will carry most of the grit and debris that get into the channel right on past the oil port hole.Each of my own Stihl saws gets the oil pump set at max and left there, most use a tank of oil for a tank of fuel and that is fine for me.

I guess I should check my bars. Generally, replace them with light weight Stihl bars but I have a couple Oregon bars. I bought new bars last summer but haven't ran those saws yet. I know Stihl made some changes due to emissions EPA regulations. Last saws I bought was MS201 it oils fine, the MS661 has 36" Stihl bar and 42" Oregon but haven't ran it much so really don't know... one tank thru that saw.

I looked at the saw Saturday and still didn't see it even though there is a diagram on the bottom. I thought about it and I have a MS311 I believe(friends saw that just stays in the building) and I looked at it. The bottom looked just like the MS362 but was cleaner and I finally saw it. I saw it on the 311 and then went back to the 362 and there was the oil adjustment screw.

As mention before, the 361 has the diagram but I think there was hole right there at the diagram where as the 362, the adjuster is away from the diagram past the plastic.

Thanks for the help though.

Latest posts

Back