Husqvarna 572XP Auto-Oiler Adjustment Screw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alan_Hicks

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Greetings,

This is the first saw I've ever had with an adjustable oiler, so I wonder if perhaps there's somethin' I'm doin' wrong. Accordin' to the manual, and the image molded into the case, you turn the screw counter-clockwise to increase the amount of oil put onto the bar. I've made some adjustments to increase oil flow, but I can't tell much of a difference. The top side of the 24" bar I'm runnin' will be modestly wet with oil in the channel, but the bottom appears almost bone dry. No oil sprays off the tip of the bar at high revs.

Furthermore, I read online that about 4 turns counter-clockwise should be fully open, but that oil adjustment screw is really loose if I go more than about a turn and a half. I'm worried it'll vibrate loose and fall out unnoticed while I'm cuttin'. If I tighten it down (not torguein' on it hard, just turnin' 'till it stops), then loosen about 4 full turns, the adjustment screw comes right out. Shouldn't this screw be captive somehow? It seems really odd for an adjustment screw like this to be so loose, and I'm honestly scared that if I open her up enough to saturate the bar, that it'll just fall out.

I don't have any pictures at this time; I can take some tomorrow durin' the day, but it's a kinda odd shaped screw. It has a smooth end that goes up into the oiler and presumably functions as an adjustible nipple to the oiler, like a jet on a carb. About halfway up the body of the screw, it's got a square piece of metal that flares out perpendicular to the axis of rotation. I wonder if this is actually two separate parts that are unscrewin' in unison, but I couldn't find a seam of any kind on close inspection. The square flare appears to be made onto the screw.

So what gives? Is this normal, or am I doin' somethin' wrong?

Edit: Spellin'

on my 572 it doesnt unscrew all the way I think, it clicks into place and only rotates about 1/2 a turn, my guess is someone reefed on yours to remove the screw all the way and damaged the oil pump

Didn’t feel loose necessarily, mostly wanted to start out from a known point and look at the sling off the tip of the bar on a clean piece of cardboard. Basically adjusted it out until I was satisfied with how it oiled.

Found a picture of the screw on this page. It's part #11.

https://www.partstree.com/models/572-xp-xpg-husqvarna-chainsaw/clutch-oil-pump-4/
From the parts diagram, it appears to me that there's a clip, probably some sort of spring, that rests against that screw, providing tension to keep it from vibrating out, and that the square flange functions as a positive stop to prevent the screw from coming out unless that spring is removed.

Can anyone with a 572 verify that? Mine unscrews completely with basically no torque required to break it loose.

I will go double check here in a few hours, but mine has a detent or something similar and it only turns a 1/2 turn and has 3 positions that it clicks into, the screw isnt loose and the head is well within the housing

I can verify that mine has no detents at all. There's no "click" into place. It just turns, and backs all the way out with about four full turns.

I did take the bar off and verify that it's oiling when revved. I think that I just have to have the screw turned in until it's tight enough not to vibrate loose, so it's too closed. Kinda makes me miss the homelites with the good ole manual oilers.

screw.jpg

I'm pretty sure the oiler on mine only has two or three positions. Even on full, it seems stingy (20, 24, and 28" bars with different oil-holes), despite obviously pumping oil with no bar.

I've been very unimpressed with the 572, despite others' rave-reviews.

Alan,
I just checked my new 592XP after reading your post. The little wire clip in the parts tree diagram rests against the square portion of the screw and gives it a 1/4 turn then “locks” it into place. You might check to see if the wire clip that keeps the screw from loosening is missing. I use canola oil for chain lube and you need to set the oiler to its max flow setting to use it properly.
HF

Latest posts

Back