Picked up a Stihl MS260

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kjalaska

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I just picked up a good deal on a used MS260. Paid $250 for saw with 16” 3/8 bar and new chain, 4 once used dull Stihl chains and a case. Thought it was a good deal. Saw was filthy dirty, had bolt broke off on flywheel side that holds chain brake. Was able to drill out broken bolt, re-tap for easy fix. Opened up the muffler and removed limiter on H screw to give more fuel. Cannot wait to get out and cut with it. Seems to have good compression and really woke up after the muffler mod!

I did pick up a gallon of Stihl winter weight bar oil and was surprised at how thin it is. Going to try it out and see if there is improvement in bar oiling as I was having trouble with 2 of my other saws cutting here with temps in the mid 30’s low 40’s. Both saws putting out oil but not enough as chains were getting hot and cuts slowing. Anyone else on here use the winter weight Stihl oil happy with it?

Great deal on the saw! I use Stihl winter weight bar oil when it gets around 20 degrees F. I like it especially when the saw is cold.

I wonder if a guy could cut the winter weight with regular bar oil maybe 50/50? My MS360 and 026 both wear 20” bars and seem to lack oil in larger cuts. I’ve read here on forum that some of the older Stihls are lacking on the oil pump. My MS360 Oiler is turned up and 026 has no adjustment. I’ll know better after I get out and cut with this winter weight oil.

I’ll look it over again. I know it oils as I ran it a little with bar off and watched it coming out, drained it out and checked tank for saw dust, and trying to keep it cleaned out after every outing. I just figured a 20” bar on the 026 was maxing it out on oiling in bigger cuts.

Awesome find and buy. Definitely worth it. After running new saws for awhile, it's really nice to hold such a light and nimble saw. A true classic. A bit underpowered by today's standards, but tough and reliable.
I believe the non adjustable (pro) oiler is crank driven on the 026/260. I was considering changing my adjustable one for the non adjustable, because even with it turned to max flow, my 16" bar was looking dry. But, my saws do a lot of idling, especially limbing saws. I didn't want a puddle.... Which is ironic because both my '98 Jred and MS260 pro have leaking oilers, and are currently sitting in puddles of bar oil. Lol!

I actually prefer the non adjustable oil pumps on the 026 and MS260`s as they run close to a tank of oil for tank of fuel in my cutting conditions. I don`t let my saws idle and the non adjustable oils my 20 bars running .325 chain just fine in hardwoods.

Thanks for that info. My MS260 does have the adjustable oil pump and 026 does not. If my 026 gets the chain/bar hot again I will put a new pump in it. I’ve seen lots of these saws wearing 20” bars so my pump might just be getting weak. Should get out to cut firewood today and will see how the new bar oil works out in mid 30’s temps.

Back