Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You missed the joke ;).
Why shouldn't it, many guys run 16" on them, quick in the cut isn't what's most efficient in all situations. There are so many places to make up for a saw cutting slower, for some reason many here and on other forums focus solely on cut times in a cookie. While I enjoy running saws and making comparisons a saw that cuts 50% slower in the cut for a guy cutting 2-4 cords a yr isn't that big of a deal vs the cost of a new saw to cut faster when you're trying to save a buck by burning wood. Personally I like running the pro saws/high quality equipment, but for my firewood needs I could do everything no problem with a 455/ms290, and if I avoided the large wood I could do it all with a 450/ms250:chainsaw:.

Agree. I 'wooded' 6-12 cord year with a MS310 assisted by a MS210 for brushing out. Did have a few overly used other saws along the way. Finally got to where I could afford pro saws so stable became top handle Stihl 192, MS362s and later added an MS441. First score was back in 1970s, Black locust logs from aclearance projecct. Up to 16" diameter. Got 4-5 cord with a top handle homelite, 12" bar. One uses what is available and affordable.

Yes but so many people ***** about the autotune on them. Mine ran flawlessly though and wasn't picky about premix ratio like my 550 was.

My only objection to the autotune in my MS441 is its slow idle. I does idle but one keeps thinking it willd die...which it does if left idle for more than a about 15 or so seconds. Dealer says no adjustment available.

I heated my house for five years with a Homelite Super 2 with a 14" bar, and the next 5 with a Homelite 330 with a 20" bar. Then I got my 044 and never ran either one of them ever again.

It was just so much smoother, faster and more reliable. Every year I had recoil trouble with the Homelite's, and the vibrations!!! I just replaced the pull cord on my 044 for the first time this year.

That means it worked for me, w/o problems, for almost 27 years! There was just no comparing them.

I remember the guys in the store did not want to sell me the 044 because I was not a Tree Pro. I asked them why and they replied "it cuts too fast". I replied "that is exactly what I need" … I had just rec'd about 7 cord of logs from a local tree place. That saw really made me happy, and Matt's Dad got a 460 not long after as a result.

He had just received a delivery of some huge Oak rounds. I was able to easily noodle them for him, and he was amazed! Just don't know how the kid ever strayed to Huskys!!!

You missed the joke ;).
Why shouldn't it, many guys run 16" on them, quick in the cut isn't what's most efficient in all situations. There are so many places to make up for a saw cutting slower, for some reason many here and on other forums focus solely on cut times in a cookie. While I enjoy running saws and making comparisons a saw that cuts 50% slower in the cut for a guy cutting 2-4 cords a yr isn't that big of a deal vs the cost of a new saw to cut faster when you're trying to save a buck by burning wood. Personally I like running the pro saws/high quality equipment, but for my firewood needs I could do everything no problem with a 455/ms290, and if I avoided the large wood I could do it all with a 450/ms250:chainsaw:.
I agree. The little 011avt that got me started has put up more wood then all my modern saws combined. Ms250 heated the house for 3 years. Just about any saw will do the job for a firewood guy. Going to be a long time befor the echos and dolmar combined catch up to the old 011. That old saw has 100+ cords on it. Not bad for an old 45cc saw

Chippewa National Forest snow let up and suns coming out.
View attachment 778843
Upper Red Lake pretty big for a puddle guy like me.
View attachment 778844
View attachment 778845
View attachment 778846

Son got the first walleye a nice 20"
View attachment 778847
I saw a 36" that came through the ice last year at the local lake. Marburg was known for its walleyes in the 80s and early 90s. Guys would come from all up and down the east coast to fish it. Now a days the lake is a mess and the white perch are ruining everything. 20-25 is a good walleye around here but the monsters are still there if your lucky enough to find one. Also produces musky that dreams are made of

You missed the joke ;).

THIS!!!!
You can get buy with one saw fine, or most of us, with a little bit of patience when cutting and a bit of patience and pickiness in finding the scrounges. when my patience ran out ...I bought a big saw. the BEST saw, can't believe no one mentioned the 365x-torq! fab and gret value. or a dol-kita-red 9100...although a little on the large side for a single saw i guess!

Chippewa National Forest snow let up and suns coming out.
View attachment 778843
Upper Red Lake pretty big for a puddle guy like me.
View attachment 778844
View attachment 778845
View attachment 778846

Son got the first walleye a nice 20"
View attachment 778847

What is this?

93fcc79e24187e9a92de0a9f5739736d.jpg

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

Right. I think that back about 2012-2014 that hit it's peak around here. You would nearly be shamed if you bought a homeowner saw.
I just read through this thread and it's apparent at least one is still here :innocent:.
I’m a few years behind lol. Didn’t realize the 462 was that light.
Guess you won't be able to cut anymore this yr now that you know :laugh:.
Can’t beat 462 for power to weight but somebody’s got to stick up for husky, lol.
Stihls are ugly, I wouldn't own one of those things if you paid me too, especially if it was an mtronic saw :happybanana:.
Go Husky :dancing:.

Back