Stump Vice - are they all created equal?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After a while, once you've trained yourself, you can get rid of the guide and probably the vice too..

you are a carver, you know what sharp looks like.

I've never seen so many gizmos as I have since I've been on this forum. I didn't know all of these things existed. Thus, I learned to do without. I tried a couple of guides and a vice and stuff since I've been here. It felt like all of that just got in my way.

IMO, holding the bar solid with a vise is important to getting good consistent strokes with the file. If the bar is moving back and forth as you put pressure on the tooth with the file, keeping a good interface between file and tooth is made much more difficult. Consistency is key when it comes to sharpening.

I honestly don't see a down side to holding the bar still at all...especially with a stump vise considering how small and out of the way it is. Can it be done without? Absolutely, however it's way easier with.

IMO, holding the bar solid with a vise is important to getting good consistent strokes with the file. If the bar is moving back and forth as you put pressure on the tooth with the file, keeping a good interface between file and tooth is made much more difficult. Consistency is key when it comes to sharpening.

I honestly don't see a down side to holding the bar still at all...especially with a stump vise considering how small and out of the way it is. Can it be done without? Absolutely, however it's way easier with.
Thanks for the great advice :)

Stump vices are great if you actually need one. That means your out in the field without backup chains but have filing equipment :rolleyes: I have one but never use it, I take spare sharp chains, sometimes 12+ chains depending on what saws I'm using. When I cut wood I cut, when I sharpen I do them all together on the grinder. If you want to file in the field, by all means get a SV.

In about 35 years of working around sawhands in the bush (since 1982 for the outspoken pup).I never saw a stump vise nor a file guide. Some of these operators could be counted among the best in the world. I just followed their lead when I bought my first chainsaw way back then.

nobody carries anything unnecessary in their pack when they jump on the helicopter..

if you train yourself to need a crutch you will always need a crutch.

hold the chain with one hand and the file with the other..

idk, but it works for thousands..

In about 35 years of working around sawhands in the bush I never saw a stump vise nor a file guide. Some of these operators could be counted among the best in the world. I just followed their lead when I bought my first chainsaw way back then.

nobody carries anything unnecessary in their pack when they jump on the helicopter..

if you train yourself to need a crutch you will always need a crutch.

hold the chain with one hand and the file with the other..

idk, it works for thousands..

This is why I don't allow my kids to have training wheels on their bikes. I don't want them to be like the thousands of adults out there that will always need that crutch since they started with it.

Back