Need some help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teamwoodchuck

Reaction score
I recently bought a husqvarna 455 rancher got a good deal on it but it needed a new break band. I got one and installed it . When I crank it up the chain spins if I lock the break on it and try to crank it you can’t hardly pull the cord . I tried too adjust the carburetor to slow it down even took it to a local saw shop and they said it needed a new carburetor. I bought one and installed it and I am still having the same problem . If I idol it down enough for the chain to stop spinning it shuts off I have replaced fuel filters air filter nothing helps so I’m lost I work with saws everyday but theyAre stihls and never had this problem.

If I understand you correctly, the chain turns when you pull the starter cord and if the brake is on, you can’t pull the starter cord and when it is running, the chain is always turning even at low idle. If that is the case, it seems your clutch is always engaged. I’m not sure why the repair shop said you need a new carburetor.
Remove the clutch cover then the bar and chain. Does the clutch drum turn freely? If not, something is causing the clutch shoes to always be in contact with the drum. You’ll need to investigate further. I’ve not had experience with Husqvarna saws enough to tell you how to remove the clutch drum and clutch on the 455. There are plenty of guys here who should be able to help you with that.
Anyone care to chime in here?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It sounds as though something is screwed up between your clutch clutch drum. There's a plastic worm gear that actuates the oil pump and it has recesses molded into
it for the splines on the clutch drum. Take a look and see if the splines on the drum are lined up correctly. You may have the drum jammed into the body of the clutch or
as Allen indicated you may have a situation where the clutch is engaged all the time (this could be due to a number of factors).

If I understand you correctly, the chain turns when you pull the starter cord and if the brake is on, you can’t pull the starter cord and when it is running, the chain is always turning even at low idle. If that is the case, it seems your clutch is always engaged. I’m not sure why the repair shop said you need a new carburetor.
Remove the clutch cover then the bar and chain. Does the clutch drum turn freely? If not, something is causing the clutch shoes to always be in contact with the drum. You’ll need to investigate further. I’ve not had experience with Husqvarna saws enough to tell you how to remove the clutch drum and clutch on the 455. There are plenty of guys here who should be able to help you with that.
Anyone care to chime in here?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes more or less that’s about it but the chain doesn’t necessarily spin while pulling the cord

It sounds as though something is screwed up between your clutch clutch drum. There's a plastic worm gear that actuates the oil pump and it has recesses molded into
it for the splines on the clutch drum. Take a look and see if the splines on the drum are lined up correctly. You may have the drum jammed into the body of the clutch or
as Allen indicated you may have a situation where the clutch is engaged all the time (this could be due to a number of factors).
Ok I will have to check that out not really familiar with the huskeys and the external clutch all I have ever worked on is stihls

Back