Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chipper, you think so? With that chain brake?? I thought a 2 series or a 55.....

I’m gonna guess 268, but for his sake hope and pray 272
I'm on my computer now, I saw it's a 2 series, right after I got on here.
But I edited my post before he said it was :clap:.

Sweet, I LOVE my 262
You shoulda grabbed the one I just sold lol.
They are good ole saws, I'd rather have a ported 357 though, which is why I sold that one :).
What's funny is I very rarely run it, because I like to go right from a 50 to a 70.
I should run it when I take down a large maple that's waiting for the weather to work, maybe later this week if the ground freezes good and solid.

You shoulda grabbed the one I just sold lol.
They are good ole saws, I'd rather have a ported 357 though, which is why I sold that one :).
What's funny is I very rarely run it, because I like to go right from a 50 to a 70.
I should run it when I take down a large maple that's waiting for the weather to work, maybe later this week if the ground freezes good and solid.

chipper, I’m working on a deal for four Huskys. A 460, 357, 266 and one that the guy isn’t sure. Ones a runner, two are burned up and the 460 he said wasn’t worth his time to look at.

old farmer at work, he dreams about John Deere and Stihl, swears nothing else’s worth his time.....

chipper, I’m working on a deal for four Huskys. A 460, 357, 266 and one that the guy isn’t sure. Ones a runner, two are burned up and the 460 he said wasn’t worth his time to look at.

old farmer at work, he dreams about John Deere and Stihl, swears nothing else’s worth his time.....
Did he run them all, where did he get them if not, wondering because of his stihl preference.
I have a buyer for the 266 if you are interested in selling it I will set you up with him.
The 359/357's are great saws, I think the 359's are very under rated, much like the 261 was.
Base gasket delete and a muffler mod and they wake right up, little porting and they get fast and are very easy to work on.
Main problem with them is the carbs, which is nothing a rebuild kit and a quick mod to the carb cover(drill a hole) fixes.
There were some of the 357's that had an auto decomp, they had quite a few problems with them. Those you remove the lower portion of the tube and tap the hole, loctite a set screw in to block it and they are fixed, that is if the top end wasn't burnt up. Most guys also replace the plastic intake clamps on the 359/357 if they have them, I've never had a problem with one loosening up. My theory is that when the chains are not well cared for the saws overheat(worse on the ones with a cat muffler), once that happens the clamp looses it's shape/holding power and the intake leaks.
460's aren't bad, just not the best power to weight, but they;; bring in the firewood and will run a 24 if needed.

I have never retuned a carb on a known well running saw due to temperature change. I run em in a full 100C temperature range, just treat em nicer at the end of either spectrum. Let them warm up and cool either way. My biggest problem is having my chain freeze in the bar.
Most of my saws don’t need a retune and I try to only run saws when it’s above zero. But both of these absolutely needed to be richened up.

This is why my saws start right up when it’s 4 degrees out. I keep them in the sauna overnight. Have about 100 gallons of water for thermal mass out there so it will stay above freezing for a couple of days after we have a sauna.

I let them dry out and then put them back in the garage.

80C2A442-1489-4626-8443-5459D4C0149B.jpeg

Hey Kiwi, looks like some good rain over the fire grounds in the next week. Maybe your aunt's place will be ok after all.

pme1to8.png

DANG I wish it wasn’t Tax Season!! Mustang Mike would turn them into firewood rounds in NO TIME!

1) It is not Tax Season

2) Have you noticed … despite all the Husky cheering … when the going gets tough he wishes for the relative with all the Stihls to show up!!!

Latest posts

Back