455 Husqavarna

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Depends on what type of cutting your doing Jeff . The 55 cc Rancher is pushing it with a 20 " bar . However with a 18 " bar it can cut plenty of firewood. Although the 60 cc 460 can pull a 24 " bar all day . A buddy of mine has a saw mill set up with a 465 pulling a 32" bar ripping beach & yellow birch , surprising torgue for 65 cc . In Hard Rock Maple bucking firewood I think 28" would be maxing out the oiler on 465 unless Winter Grade Bar oil was the norm . Definately sound saws for the Recreational Wood Cutter on a budget !

I agree, the 455 with 18" bar will make any homeowner smile......I'd classify it it as a high-end homeowner saw and owned 2 over the years.

Depends on what type of cutting your doing Jeff . The 55 cc Rancher is pushing it with a 20 " bar . However with a 18 " bar it can cut plenty of firewood. Although the 60 cc 460 can pull a 24 " bar all day . A buddy of mine has a saw mill set up with a 465 pulling a 32" bar ripping beach & yellow birch , surprising torgue for 65 cc . In Hard Rock Maple bucking firewood I think 28" would be maxing out the oiler on 465 unless Winter Grade Bar oil was the norm . Definately sound saws for the Recreational Wood Cutter on a budget !
Well I am cutting firewood, my Johnsered 2166 I purchased a couple years ago took a crap. Only on its 3rd chain and original bar. I had just put the 3rd new chain on it. Mixed a new batch of fuel and fired it up. That's when it locked up. I am hoping after reading a few post that it is a screw backed out as the piston will come up to almost top end and then it stops.

Back to the 455, I run a firewood business on the side and do 4 or 500 cords a year. I hope the saw will hold up as I am pretty disappointed in the Johnsered.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Well I am cutting firewood, my Johnsered 2166 I purchased a couple years ago took a crap. Only on its 3rd chain and original bar. I had just put the 3rd new chain on it. Mixed a new batch of fuel and fired it up. That's when it locked up. I am hoping after reading a few post that it is a screw backed out as the piston will come up to almost top end and then it stops.

Back to the 455, I run a firewood business on the side and do 4 or 500 cords a year. I hope the saw will hold up as I am pretty disappointed in the Johnsered.

That's quite a bit of wood cutting.
I'd have to own several saws with that much demand, maybe even Pro saws.

I know the area your in very well, fish Stonewall and Tygart several times a year.

Ouch !

That's disappointing for a Pro-Grade 70 cc Class saw . Cutting that much wood is Serious Commercial Cutting . I would hope your using Premium Synthetic Mix & Bar Oil @ 40:1 and maintain sharp chains while cutting . As for the. 455 Rancher , my Uncle swore by the Ranchers for his homeowner firewood 30+ yr requirements . He went through the 51 , 55 , 450 models to last yr when he bought a 465 . He use to cut around 25-30 cords a yr of mixed hard woods on the homestead . However he always ran a two saw operation (felling limbing & bucking) . I would think you could expect a 5-10 yr lifecycle for a 455 if you maintain & use it in a proper manner within your application , more than one saw is a must in your endeavour . Having said this I am puzzled in the failure of the Jonsered , their a fine saw . Please get back to us on this. I would assume you regularly plug check and tuned it properly prior to and after break in ?

Have you removed the bar and chain on the Jonsered and tried to turn it over?

4-500 cords a year, even $200/cord is $80,000. Jez man get a top pro saw!
He has a Premium Grade Pro saw . Its currently locked up lol . The point is , no one saw can be expected to cut the hardwood stumpage that Jeff is attempting annually . Multiple saw usage is required .

I agree with the multiple saw idea. That is an awful lot of wood cutting. 455 Rancher is a good homeowner saw. I bought one discounted at Costco of all places about 6 or 7 years ago, has cut a lot of firewood for us. It eventually got ran over by the tractor in the barn, son bout some new plastic for it and it still going strong. Gave it to him for his collection. If I were on a tight budget I would buy 2 or 3 new Echo 590’s and rotate them thru the day.

So that saw has cut 800-1000 cords into firewood?

Is that a typo or do you really cut 400-500 cords a year? that is a lot of work for a side business.
I actually cut more than that.

But let's just say, I do a cord a day during the work week, then i do 3 on saturday and 3 on sunday. That's 11 cords a week average. Times that by 52 weeks and that's 572 cords.

Now with that being said, this year I have slowed things down to half. I can not do as much right now with a 15 month old and momma working plus I am working 12 hour shifts 5 days a week.

So that saw has cut 800-1000 cords into firewood?
Nope, never said that, that particular saw is on its original bar and i just put a new chain on, literal when it locked up. So it has worn out 2 chains. Saw is in excellent shape. Little sawdust from cutting in the rain.
I would say 25 to 40 cords.
7dfc98ef3d9e7061d948f1d4ac87cbae.jpg
22eca188597721532c2c265ad563fe6a.jpg
f09848066d1bd8a1672dea5889c04895.jpg
22226ab341989f7552b4cc41ea85425d.jpg

I agree with the multiple saw idea. That is an awful lot of wood cutting. 455 Rancher is a good homeowner saw. I bought one discounted at Costco of all places about 6 or 7 years ago, has cut a lot of firewood for us. It eventually got ran over by the tractor in the barn, son bout some new plastic for it and it still going strong. Gave it to him for his collection. If I were on a tight budget I would buy 2 or 3 new Echo 590’s and rotate them thru the day.
Not really
I used a stihl MS660 for 3 years till it locked up. Gas got mixed lean, I am guessing that the mixing oil was not correct in the bottle. I have caught that several times and that may be what happened to my jonsered. As I was in a hurry in the rain and did not double check the bottle to make sure it was full. I have found the bottles not correct several times after the Stihl locked up.

The MS 880 has failed 2wice clutch and drum failure after 2 years.

The MS 661 is on its 2nd year used daily and has cut a couple tractor trailer loads of wood a day give or take.

The jonsered and the 455 are used just an hour a day several times a week. But mostly on the weekends.

As I said. I cut firewood as a side business.

Back