044 Jug

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ents

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
So I'm on the verge of putting this 044 back together (mentioned in a couple other posts). I put a straight edge on the bottom of the jug and find that all around each mounting hole is concave. In other words, I see light under the straight edge between the mounting holes. Is this normal? Will the base gasket fill this void? And for that matter, the gasket has a ridge around it. Ridge up or down when mounting it on the crank case?

Thanks and have a great day,

Is the jug OEM or aftermarket?

Ridge up on the gasket.

As said above, vac test it. If unable to, rubbing a bit of an acceptable sealant on the gasket before assembly is cheap insurance. Loctite 518, Motoseal and Dirko are all good sealants.

Thanks for the replies. Was thinking to just button it up and test but getting Dirko HT first. I have an 034 that I just buttoned up but it's leaking at the front gasket. New gasket on the way and I will probably Dirko that one too. I'm willing to bet the 034 jug has the same concave characteristic.

Both the 034 and 044 jugs are OEM.

I've got a chunk of marble that I will tape some 320 sandpaper down on. Rub the jug base across a few times and see what the scratch marks tell me. If all 4 corners show scratch but not the middle that will confirm the straight edge.

Some folks put these jugs down without gasket or sealant. If the jugs, and for that matter, the crank case mounting area are off, how do they seal up?

Hope all is well and have a great one.

Thanks for the replies. Was thinking to just button it up and test but getting Dirko HT first. I have an 034 that I just buttoned up but it's leaking at the front gasket. New gasket on the way and I will probably Dirko that one too. I'm willing to bet the 034 jug has the same concave characteristic.

I've got a chunk of marble that I will tape some 320 sandpaper down on. Rub the jug base across a few times and see what the scratch marks tell me. If all 4 corners show scratch but not the middle that will confirm the straight edge.

Some folks put these jugs down without gasket or sealant. If the jugs, and for that matter, the crank case mounting area are off, how do they seal up?

I have Never seen no sealant at all

So I just buttoned up the 044 and presure/vac tested it. Held both. So, now to figure out where all these bits and pieces go. :)

They use sealer but I don't like the idea!

Latest posts

Back