• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Sold 024 - $120, 028 - $150, 290/390

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSW

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
First saw is an 024 with a Farmertec top end.

The good:

Saw always starts, few pulls if it's been sitting on a bench for a while, one pull if it's warm.

Has cut plenty of wood and will cut plenty of wood.

Oiler works.

It scares cats.

Chain brake works.

Light weight.

The bad:

It's gutless. I've ran this thing off and on about a year and it's never given me running issues but it has no grunt. If you keep the rpms up and cut small diameter it's alright but I don't wanna mislead anyone. May be tuning, may just be a weak aftermarket cylinder, but buy with eyes wide open. I'm pricing it accordingly.

$140 shipped PHO.

Second saw is an 028.

The good:

150-155lbs compression.

Saw starts real easy, even if sitting for a while.

Oiler works.

Was converted to a coil ignition.

This is way I would call a strong saw. I've ran a handful of stock 028's and this would run with any of them. I cut a lot of bar length with this saw last winter and you can actually lean on this saw. It's still a small saw don't get me wrong but it's a lot of bang for the buck.

The bad:

It leaks around the cap, I've cut plenty of firewood with it, I've had it sitting around when I made the videos, it's not excessive and it doesn't bother me but that's going to be a decision you would have to make. Everyone has different tolerance levels.

The chain spins when cold, and a slight bit when warm.

$175 shipped PHO

Final saw is a 290 that had a bad top end and was replaced with a 390 aftermarket cylinder.

Saw is the newest and cleanest of the bunch. Starts easily, idles well, cuts well. Chain brake and oiler work. Not much to say about it. Probably a bit of power hiding in the exhaust if that's your sort of thing.

$250 shipped PHO

024 and 028 bundle - $250 shipped.

All three saws for $475 shipped.

Stihl 024 - $120 shipped. Should have a bar and a chain to throw in with it.

$150 shipped on 028. Strong compression, metal case saw.

Latest posts

Back