Newbie working on 028

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

downhanddave

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Alright to start off as u probably know I am new to the sight under this name was a member few years back mainly to look at pictures but posted acouple times. I am a pipeline welder from oklahoma. As most if u know there arent alot of trees here lol but i love running chainsaws and have ran them ALOT cut atleast 100 cords of firewood a year. For the last 10 years. No big saws no real big trees just lots and lots of cutting. My saw line up will get laughed at but i will tell u. All I have is 3 yes 3 ms 290's all have muffler mods done. But that's all I know how to do. And they work or me I am 26 so weight is no concern and a 18" bar gets thru almost all the trees I cut at this time. Anyway to get to what I am posting about. Thru many hours of reading on here I have decided to start upgrading my saws. I bought a old well atleast I believe old version 028 (has magnesium tank and handle). I didn't get to start the saw but the price was right ($25) so I figured it would b a good saw for two things. 1: it's not a clamshell so easy to work on. 2: I am saw repair stupid!! I am good at anything mechanical just 2 strokes are alot different than the diesel motors I am use to working on. So this is my project.
a5a2uheb.jpg

I have filter cover also just had it off when I remembered to take a pic.

So here is the bad. I got the saw home and started looking it over. Pulled muffler looks like not scoring or transfer at all. I can still see machining rings on piston. Put compression gauge on the saw gauge saws 120 but I have never use gauge on anything so who knows how it reads? Pulling the string u know its good. Anyway long story short I get bar off bc the brake is not working wanted to look at that. Oil pump cover off and there is nothing. I mean nothing not brake springs to pump no gears no nothing!! So I am asking for alittle help on where to find parts and how to assemble. I am good at putting things back together but from scratch I am over my head before I start!!

Ps sorry for the long post. I just know introduction is important and details also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ran outside and took a pic.
ysugu5at.jpg

That is exactly how it looked when I took the cover off.

Well looks like it don't have a chain brake from what I see. And yea goin to need a clutch drum....oil pump with gakest, nylon gears. Bar oiler plate. I can't tell about the chain brake forsure. I'm thinking it doesn't have it though.

Yea no chain brake fr om the looks of it. Take apart the carb and clean it.
Make sure the air filter has a fleece coating.
120 comp is very low but if you don't know about your gauge maybe try it on one of your 290.

While your at it test your compression gauge against one of your 290's. 120 is a bit low. Good luck with your saw, wish I was more help but I've never worked on one of those 028's.

if u want to send me a pm with your email I can send you a pdf of the parts list for this saw...i have an identical one on my bench right now

Yeah I was thinking about comparing the saws compression to see how that turned out. Didnt think about it earlier. Will do tomarrow and report back.

Update received new gears and a pocket everything I need for putting saw back together. Then got to thinking y the gears ground apart. So how to I test this oil pump? It has a gear from crank to gear on oil pump that seems to just screw into the pump itself.

Good saw.got 2 or 3 of the all metal ones myself.all need work.grew up running a super.super tough old saws like the mcculloch 10-10's:rock: if youve never ran an old mcculloch you dont know what your missing.sounds like you have a bobcat by the cajones and hes diggin tryin to get loose.:cool: Damn I Need to go cut a tree.:laugh: Th arctics moving back in as I type so I might as well forget that.:cry:

a muff modded 290 will run circles around an 028 any day. Not bashing 028's because i love mine but thats just the truth. That being said the 028 will most likely outlast any 290 you'll ever own given the proper maintenance. Plus id much rather thrash a 290 cutting that much firewood a year then an 028. Your version does not have a chainbrake btw. hope you get it running and wish i was more of a help.

Those older model 028s don't have chain brakes. They just have the hand guard.

Well that sucks. I just posted in WTB brake parts for the one I have. I have 2 others and both have brakes. The one that doesn't has no rubber on handle like OP's. I am going to compare one of the others to this one and see if it was suppose to or not. The one that has no brake has a metal fuel tank.

I have repalced a few pumps in the 028 and wondering why the gears wore out is legit but to be honest if the PO didnt keep it clean or let the clutch slip it may be no fault of the saw. I wouldnt call the pumps a strong point either the shaft the worm turns on tends to loosen up and then the wear begins. Very reliable saw and can last a lifetime but a little low on RPMs for todays standards. I would expect 120psi to be a runner.

Back