044 O-Ring problem!! Help!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caddguy

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Can anyone help me out..? I have exhausted my resources....I have had this darn O-Ring on Back-order from Stihl now for over 3 weeks. It is a 12 x 1.5 that seals in between the crank bearing and the clutch thrust bearing. It's part number is #9645 945 1170.
I can't run the saw until I get a replacement.....Anyone?
Thanks,
Dave

I don't show a part like that in my IPL. Don' have an o-ring in my saw there either.

There is one used there but I have have run some of my 044`s with only hard grease packed in the recess for the O ring and the saws have run flawlessly for years on end with no problems. This saw could be run that way until the O ring gets here and then its an easy job to install at that time. That spacer and the bearing race it presses against turns as a unit so the grease will stay in place and act as a seal for years, use a stiff grease like Quakerstate yellow wheel bearing grease and its a high temp grease that won`t run at higher temps.

Pioneerguy600

So what am I missing? I do not see this part in the IPL.

I rebuilt 5-6 044`s over the last year and that O ring is not shown on most IPL`s but mentioned in the service manuals for the 044`s and MS440`s. It is not commonly available outside of Stihl parts suppliers. The hard grease does work and the area it is in does not run hot as such but is warm to the touch when the saw is run hard. I am currently running one MS440 with no grease or O ring and it works very well without either one.
Pioneerguy600

Last edited:
I can get the O rings here from Strictly Hydraulic or Strictly Seals but the more common outlets don`t have the proper size ones. Commonly visited places like Cdn. Tire, auto supplies and parts suppliers, Home Depo etc.
Pioneerguy600

I ordered a 25 pack of the "Viton" type from McMaster's. Thanks for the help!!
If anyone needs one...I can probably help!!:clap:

Back