090AV vs 090G

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The reason one was designated as an 090 G model is that it has a gear reduction system for running longer bars, thus it has less demand for displacement and has a smaller engine. The direct drive 090 has more power for things like milling lumber, LOTS of grunt from that thing, LOTS. Its the ultimate logging saw.

I think Wolf is asking why the 090G isn't more accurately called the 070G. Possible that the 090 and 090G were meant to run the same range of bar lengths, but the G has less demand for horsepower at the expense of chain speed. If someone has some old sales literature for the 090G the answer would likely be in there.

Chris B.

I'm sorry, I forgot the main question here. the reason for giving the 090 an Av and then another version the G designation is that Stihl never made an 070 G model to the best of my knowledge, thus they only listed the 070 and no 070 G series. If that makes sense then good, if not I havent done a good enough job of clearing things up for ya.

Originally posted by cbfarmall
If someone has some old sales literature for the 090G the answer would likely be in there.

Chris B.

I have original litature for the 070, 090, and 090G. I not a guru by any means on the 090 but I believe it was made in at least 3 forms (090G, 090 non AV, and 090AV). I believe the 090AV was actually in two forms with the early ones having the big loop handle and the last ones having a more convential handle. I could be wrong abut this.

Bill

Back