1557M with new honeywell limter installed...now question...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cableguy256

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey all, as some of you may know from my other posts, I have a 1557M that I run as my main (actually, my ONLY heat source)... I installed a draft induction kit today ordered from US Stove... I know there's a lot of debate about this kit, but my question is in regards to the limiter...... What is a good recommended on/off temp setting for it? Also, if I was to fire the box too fast, does the limiter take a few to catch up to the temp inside the exchanger? Reason I ask is, it's not very cold out tonight, but I wanted to do a test run with the new setup before it does get really cold... well, after getting some good hot coals, I decided to throw in a couple big chunks.... the draft fan came on with thermostat as it's supposed to, but the secondary burn I was getting was pretty intense and soon raised the firebox temp to around 420 and the blowers still weren't on :bang: ... i checked my settings again on the limiter which I had set to come on at about 150 and off around 90... at this point the blowers finally kicked on and cooled the furnace back down....

sorry for rambling with such a simple question about settings on the limiter but wanted to make sure I got my whole story out there....

I ran ours with 140 on 90 off. It allowed more heat to be pulled from the unit faster. As far as the forced draft goes, I had it on ours and it was junk. With it running overnight, we would wake up to a cold house and no coals in the furnace. Burntimes were cut down by a few hours, and didn't make any difference on heat output. So by then we just kept if off, but kept the flap on the side open to allow for more air into the firebox. Lower the on temp and things will improve. You Fan Limit/control will go up with increased temps with the firebox. But with the location of the forced draft, it won't ramp the fire instantly. I'm not a fan of forced draft units.

I ran ours with 140 on 90 off. It allowed more heat to be pulled from the unit faster. As far as the forced draft goes, I had it on ours and it was junk. With it running overnight, we would wake up to a cold house and no coals in the furnace. Burntimes were cut down by a few hours, and didn't make any difference on heat output. So by then we just kept if off, but kept the flap on the side open to allow for more air into the firebox. Lower the on temp and things will improve. You Fan Limit/control will go up with increased temps with the firebox. But with the location of the forced draft, it won't ramp the fire instantly. I'm not a fan of forced draft units.

I'm having the opposite problem with my forced draft.... even with the blower off, it's allowing too much air flow into the fire box... now mind you, I loaded up last night about an hour earlier than normal, and this morning still have wood left with a real nice bed of hot coals...but I'm seeing I'm not going to be a huge fan of the blower itself... now the limit control friggin rocks compared to that thermo-disc that came with it... blowers used to run allll night long which had me concerned about life-span of the motors. Got up this morning , nice temp in the house, blowers off at the time and like I said nice hot bed of coals with one split still left in box.

I actually ended up setting my limiter to 140/90 last night after i posted this and think I"m going to like that setting. Thank you for the input

You will probably find that if the furnace is oversized with the home, the thermostat will almost always be met. This allowing the forced draft not to run during the night. Ours didn't run until it was 10 degrees or colder, especially on those -20 nights. We kept our loading door damper closed at all times unless starting from a cold start. With the forced draft fan being opened and allowing more air into the firebox, we would open the ashpan damper maybe 1 turn at most when we needed alot of heat. I always recommend people with those furnaces to ditch the snap disc and go with a limit/control. It allows for the user to tweak the furnace to their needs.

well, I'm heating about 2200sq. ft. with mine which most of that is well insulated so you're probably right on the thermo. being met most times as my house doesn't drop temp very much at all. I definately already love the limiter as my blowers are not running constantly now like they did with the thermodisc that came with the stove.... makes me wonder why they don't just include the limiter with the furnace like some other companies do. It's if a matter of money I figure what the hell, your already spending around 1300 why not just throw on another 75-85 for the limiter... just MHO.

Fan Limit/controls used to be standard with those furnaces. Just a way to cut costs I guess.

Back