170 Hot Blast US stove circa 1940 speculation/opinions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ROOTSXROCKS

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I came across this Stove a friend had just bought, and I thought it was pretty cool so I offered him his money back and a little boot trade.

Now Im trying to figure out how it was suposed to be used. I can't find any reference on the internet.

regardless of its condition, I will make good use of it as an outdoor wood stove that will last a hell of a lot longer than those clay Chimeras. so my 40.00 is not wasted.

I am thinking it is suposed to be coal fueled, but I have never seen a coal burner so I could be wrong.

Knowing nothing about the stove I am guessing that it is suposed to be used to heat metal, and I might be able to use it as a Hobby forge.

the fellow I got it from had already had a friend braze the broken hinge on the door, I might try to clean up that wield and make it a bit prettier, but it also has some areas around the cast pieces were they join the body of the stove that need to be filled. and brass would do the job nicely. I don't think disassemble would be wise.

as you will see in the pictures the firebrick is pretty cracked , I was thinking that I might be able to coat the inside with some refractory paste. However I am at a complete loss as to the function of the little cone in the top.

My wild guess is that there is a missing piece that has broken. perhaps a bell like piece that focuses the heat into the eye so you have a torch on top.

but I am unsure of how the main flue would be vented from such a bell. perhaps some sort of vents that created a spiral draft??

so what I would like to use it for is to burn scrap from my shop and possibly to forge or experiment with extracting metal from ore and other hot dangerous frivolous play.

9667f9e6.jpg
85a1ebc8.jpg

170 or 17D Hot Blast Us stove Gatlinburg Tenn.
aa6c6e31.jpg

What the heck is this and how is it used
7bab1bb8.jpg

abdbf5a7.jpg

melted or Broken ? could the wire be to hold a hook and crucible?
3b223c3f.jpg

so would wool and foundry paste work in here Of couse I would have to keep wood from breaking it
6b8053a9.jpg

The bottom seems to have had a pan that is nothng more than a sheat of rusted steel now, but Im thinking I should weild a new bottom befor this one gets thinner.

would stove bluing be effective outdoors? I wouldn't use this inside but figured I could add a free standing chimney to keep smoke above our heads and add a damper to control the burn.

A friend suggested adding a smoke box to the chimney pipe, sounds good but I was a bit concerned about what might have burned in there over the last 70 years. what if it was used with some cinnabar :jawdrop:

Thank you for all your wisdom and input.

I will bump because I want to know more too.

This is a stretch but your pic looks familiar, did you ever live in iowa?

Geese

Closest I have ever been to Iowa was a McDonald french fry.:)

I was sure hoping someone had seen one of these before, Id really like to know how it is suposed to be used. Im gonna call my stepdad the Knife maker up and see if he knows anything about it. Im sure he will at least make up a goiod story ;):laugh:

Not even a wild guess? jeesh, I suppose a coal burner is sacrilegious.
I just reffered the Guru at anvilfire.com to this post I hope he has more. I will repost his answer if he sends me an Email.

I can't help ya but you sure have me curious. Stay on it till you get an answer.

Got this reply, Not sure I understand
No that is not something to heat or smelt metals in it is a stove used to warm fairly largish rooms like a train depot waiting room. The place on top is so you can heat your coffeepot faster.

It would make a poor forge or bloomery and a great smithy warming stove.

Thomas
The coffee pot remark makes no sense to me, surely that would be to hot for a pot, and if it was for a large station, why would it have a coffee pot on it.

besides what purpose would the ceramic insert play in a burner.

the peculiar thing about this is the cover does not seal the hole I don't think its being closed or open would make a lot of temp difference.

Latest posts

Back