2014 firewood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Before the snow shut me down. I still have a pile of rounds buried somewhere out there. I should have put a sand dune flag on it so I could find the darn thing. Cursed snow! Stacks are 4' high and 24' long. This was an earlier picture. Pile has grown another 8-10 feet. The darker stuff behind it may be next seasons wood. I have to check it first. The darker stuff has been down for over a year and the lighter stuff (ash) was dead standing. Dryest stacks win!
photo (6).JPG

We've got 28" of snow where my trees that need cutting are.

I'm holding out for spring.

Ya, I know what your saying. Been struggling in the woods lately. Deep snow and cold makes moving wood very difficult and slow.I look at what I have done in a weeks worth of work and think, if was spring I'd had that done in a day. I still keep plugging away but not as happy about it. Deep snow just sucks all the fun out of it.

Here are the cuts from this morning
A 61/2 ft truck bed full is supose to be a rank a rick or a face cord that is supose to be 42 square ft. 31/2 by 31/2 by 31/2 times that comes to 42 square ftb ut it will not fell a pickup truck bed. so where am I figuring wrong waiting for a answer

A 61/2 ft truck bed full is supose to be a rank a rick or a face cord that is supose to be 42 square ft. 31/2 by 31/2 by 31/2 times that comes to 42 square ftb ut it will not fell a pickup truck bed. so where am I figuring wrong waiting for a answer
??

Got some splitting done the past few weeks till the rounds were all gone. The rounds pictured now were cut yesterday and todayimage.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    204.7 KB · Views: 36
How long do yall let them dry in rounds befor you split them? I would like to get mine split well befor winter so they are well seasoned.

How long do yall let them dry in rounds befor you split them? I would like to get mine split well befor winter so they are well seasoned.
They will be split within a week or so

IMG_0433.jpg IMG_0434.jpg IMG_0436.jpg

We have about 9 cords all split and stacked for next year. All Red Oak. The rest is buried under all that white stuff. The rest we just split and run up the elevator though, let it fall on some pallets for the summer. I am so sick of stacking wood, looking forward to just splitting and watching it go.

So there is about an hour of splitting time left there in the picture. Time to get cutting again this weekend. Getting a good jump on the season so far,

I certainly don't have any operation like that. I am working on a fence row and wood lines at the farm. My shiny new super splitter (see my other thread..) has been getting a work out. I have cut / split / stacked just over 4 cord in the past month. Luckily all of our snow is gone now, just ankle deep mud the last week. I use my brother inlaws front end loader and boy oh boy do I feel spoiled! Hopefully after this week I will be ready for next winter, and working on getting ahead a year or so.

Attachments

• 20140228_172634.jpg
    20140228_172634.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 87
I certainly don't have any operation like that. I am working on a fence row and wood lines at the farm. My shiny new super splitter (see my other thread..) has been getting a work out. I have cut / split / stacked just over 4 cord in the past month. Luckily all of our snow is gone now, just ankle deep mud the last week. I use my brother inlaws front end loader and boy oh boy do I feel spoiled! Hopefully after this week I will be ready for next winter, and working on getting ahead a year or so.
What kind of wood do you have there? The pile in my picture is all oak. I have mixed piles as well.

Back