4 way wedge

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryan_marine

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Well I was given a 4 way wedge for my spliter. It was not an exact fit to the wedge on the troy built 27ton spliter that I have. But I figured I would give it a try. All was good at first no problem. Then along came a knot that I didn't see. Broke the back strap off of it. Whoops. No big deal the 4 way has a top handle, I will just set it off on a piece that needs split beside me. Then along came a piece of white elm. Before I knew it I drove the spliters wedge right through the 4 way. So now the question do I repair the 4 way, buy a newone, or have one built for the spliter? I like the idea of just setting it on that way for the big pieces I can knock them in half first or smaller ones that just need to be split one time I can do so quickly.

Thanks

Ray

I'm not so sure I would use a 4 way on elm. Poplar, pine, cherry, ash, maple and such-yes. Elm-no friggin way. Just my opinion. KD

I haven't found elm to be a problem with my 4 way. I just shove the next piece though behind it to finish shearing it off. If you are running a H/V splitter then that may not be an option if your splitter has a log stripper to dislodge stuck logs.

Now big crotches are a problem along with other messed up pieces that are basically a big burly mess. If you orient your wood to split right down the middle of a big knot with your primary wedge the 4 way will be splitting the better wood on the sides. You need a decent amount of tonnage if your wood is not perfect. Nice straight knot free pieces split pretty easy but throw a few knots, twisted wood grain and curved pieces and you have to use a lot more tonnage to shear the mess though your wedge set.

I you want your question answered, we need a little more info. What kind of splitter do you have? Horz. or Vert.? Depending on what you have there may be commercially made ones for it, places that members have had custom make them for them, or rebuild / build your own depending on your skills and access to equipment.

Good luck.

Don

Back