404” saw chain?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Huskybill

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
i ordered two different loops of 404 saw chain. One loop has the normal 404 longer teeth while the other has smaller teeth like 3/8” chain. Is there two different styles of 404 chain? I asked the seller a saw shop and he said no that he’s not aware of. Any Thoughts?

The pitch is only the distance between rivets (3 rivets/2), and focuses on the drive links meshing with the sprockets. After that, the teeth can be any size or shap.

Do both chains fit your drive sprockets?

Philbert

Both chains are 404 just one set of teeth are shorter. Micro 404. I might try that on my 480 husky, everything from 480 up gets 404 chain. My 285’s, 298, 2100’s, 2101. they’ll be the sons saws

Next time we have a cut off testing the ported 2100 we’ll fire up the 480 with that new 404 micro chain. I just ordered some huztl 404/063” chisel chain I hope it’s not the small tooth. I like the longer tooth of the chisel standard chain it lasts longer.

Was I was logging decades ago we only had 404/050ga in LP chisel chain and cp I think was chipper. Times have changed I need a college degree on learning different chains now. Round file, square file, chipper, chisel, micro 404, pro chain, home owner, casual cutter chain, ect.

I think there was a time .404 micro was made, maybe 80s or 90s.
I've seen some on old model saws that had the original b&c combo, they can be filed with 3/16.
7/32 will hit the weird bulge on the bottom part of gullet

I found 7/32 sits in my semi chisel perfectly in the gullet, but the full chisel requires the file to be raised and the fillet done seperatly. I don’t mean to highjack this thread but is there such a thing as high and low profile cutting teeth for semi chisel?

I use a 1/4” round file on 404” chain, to open up the gullet for chip clearance. Then I use a file n guide with a 7/32” round file to sharpen the top of the tooth. This gives the top edge of the tooth a 7/32” radious. It takes time to first do it right then just a pass of the 7/32” file to keep the upper edge sharp.

You have to try this. When done correctly the tooth looking at it from the side should have a hook look to it, trust me try it. I first tried it during speed cutting at the fair, then I tried it in the hardwoods cutting firewood.

My larger cc saws will run 404 saw chain. It lasts longer because the teeth are longer.

C8EB41AB-E5D0-42C1-BC8C-336C27079BAC.jpeg I dunno bill, I did this freehand with a 7/32. I usually do my actual sharpening first then second pass press down and in aggressively to clean out the gullet. I think this is a prime example of a good gullet. C3F0AB42-D836-49B2-B76B-A55D9664433B.jpeg

I prefer the gullet done with the 1/4” file once the space between the rakers and teeth is opened up enough to angle a 1/4” file in there some chains have smaller openings. I want that gullet fully open for the chip exhaust. It’s going to rain big chips.

I feel bad for the trees I’m going to raise hell.

I open up the gullet on my husky 240sg 325 LP chain too. When I make a straight cut in 2”-3”saplings if I do it quick enough the tree is in the air for a split second, enough time for me to pull the saw back out of the cut. The saw doesn’t bind at all. The tree monetary hangs in the air. I run a 9 pin rim in the 240sg.

Back