550xp muffler mod, tried something different.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A.E. Metal Werx

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
First off I would like to say that this 550 it's one heck of a saw, starts great, and runs even better! I've sat and looked that is saw for many of times trying to figure out a way to do a different mm then just opening up the stock port witch really works great and is simple and really with the design of the muffler about the only way to do it with out investing a lot of time. Well.. Lets just say this muffler mod took by for the most time of any other saw I have done. I will say the tone is impressively deep! Enjoy.

Form what I've been told this muffler isn't as bad as a 555, but boy is there a lot going on In there..

Won't been needing that..
egu5abu3.jpg

I know I should have took more in the process pictures but I was in a rhythm.. Here is the muffler after welding and blending.
e7emedep.jpg

nequqe4u.jpg

So far I know your saying.. Who hasn't don't a mm like that right..
Here's what makes it different and the tone so deep!
gejanuse.jpg

And the inside....
6uqede5a.jpg

All said and one and installed.
e6e8yrez.jpg

aqusa2ep.jpg

Last edited:
Cant wait to hear that critter! Looks like very good meticulous work, bud. Gave the pipe some tuning chambers like I remember Walker Mufflers doing on automotive mufflers--looks like it worked well. Oh, nice bar there too. Did you have it already or get it from the local dealer?

Ron

Cant wait to hear that critter! Looks like very good meticulous work, bud. Gave the pipe some tuning chambers like I remember Walker Mufflers doing on automotive mufflers--looks like it worked well. Oh, nice bar there too. Did you have it already or get it from the local dealer?

Ron

Thanks Ron! Your spot on with where I got the idea for the pipe gullets. I've seen a few mufflers and glass packs with the style and figured I would give it a shot. As for the bar, local dealer. To bad my 346 chain is 59 drivers and the 550 is 60...

Man. Went from one extreme to another. Was welding 22-28ga last night at 15-35 amps to today welding 6" plate running at 360 amps!

very nice job! so you liked my idea of the pipe into the muff eh. my 2152 was not as pretty ,just made some slash cuts on 4" ss pipe ,but does give it anice tone. look forward to hearin and runnin it.

very nice job! so you liked my idea of the pipe into the muff eh. my 2152 was not as pretty ,just made some slash cuts on 4" ss pipe ,but does give it anice tone. look forward to hearin and runnin it.

Yes sir, figured I would add a little flavor though with the pipe gullets.. You may just hear It Sunday. I'll keep you posted.

awesome looking, bet it sounds mean. Wish I had your skills and patience to crank out stuff like that! Good to be back on the site looking at saws and all associated must be the cold that has brought back interest .

Video

Took a video today comparing the 550 muffler mod to my 346 muffler mod. The 346 is tuned super fat for brake in and the 550 only has .2 hours on it so she's in the process of figuring out where she wants to be. I live in the city and have very limited access to wood. I would like to thank mike "Homelite410" for leaving me a few pieces to play with. Also, the video isn't the best, its really dark but the video is really all about sound comparison.

[video=youtube;JagdfM4M1ZE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JagdfM4M1ZE&feature=plcp[/video]

ya buddy:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

ya buddy:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Thanks mark! I was starting to wonder if I scared people away. The 550 may have a cup of fuel ran through it.. It sure has a long way to go. Both really. The 550 and 346..

Back