550xp stuck ring

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr. Hank

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Have been running the saw for two years on 50:1 klotz supertechniplate oil.
Have cut 100cord with it, and last weekend it died. Dropped it at the dealer, because still on warranty.
Hear back today that it has a stuck ring, and got the whole, “what oil are you running, you should only run husky oil, etc”. He says it’ll pass on warranty.

Do I jump to husky oil? Is a stuck ring common on these?

John

Lucky you did not hear your oil is not JASO-FD certified. Your oil it a tc-w3 oil .

I used to use the old Husqvarna 50:1 exclusively in my first saw.1985 model 50. It had tremendous amounts of carbon build up when I tore it down last year. The xp oil may be better, I have not tried it, but I don't like the old conventional stuff.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

The oil you using is even specified by Klotz to be used only in a racing application. An ester base full synthetic with degummed castor in it is about the furthest oil suitability wise to run in a chainsaw. Not only are you wasting money but unless your prepared to strip down your saws regularly for cleaning and inspection, your not setting yourself up for a low maintenance work saw. You can outsmart the OEM by choosing to run a different oil to what they spec, but few actually do. They 'think' they are until something like this happens, then expect warranty to cover the cost of their own making. Your dealer is far more tolerant than I. I'd buy him a case of beer for successfully fighting that case.

Back