6400 cat muffler gut

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MS460WOODCHUCK

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Would anyone that has done this with good results be willing to do this for me if I paid for it to be done. I just don't think I could get it apart and sealed back up good. I would hate to melt parts because of the seam leaking.

I can do it for you.It may not look perfect after I uncrimp it.Can use the Experience just pay shipping.Shoot me a PM.

I've got a brand new 6400 cat muffler I removed and replaced with a non-cat when I was building my 7900 a few years back. If you want to pay shipping, I'll send it to you to practice on...... Don't think I'd ever have any use for it.

I can do it for you.It may not look perfect after I uncrimp it.Can use the Experience just pay shipping.Shoot me a PM.
they arent bad. First one will take you 30-40 minutes to do a nice job. easiest way is to uncrimp the straight side of the muffler and slide it apart. If i remember the next one i do i will make a video of uncrimping it.

I've got a brand new 6400 cat muffler I removed and replaced with a non-cat when I was building my 7900 a few years back. If you want to pay shipping, I'll send it to you to practice on...... Don't think I'd ever have any use for it.
Sure i'll try it.

they arent bad. First one will take you 30-40 minutes to do a nice job. easiest way is to uncrimp the straight side of the muffler and slide it apart. If i remember the next one i do i will make a video of uncrimping it.
Done several by uncrimping but always like to keep up practice on stuff.done a 017 muffler without uncrimping the other day.10 minutes with drill and dremel and i was done.

remove the cage but leave the reinforcements that are welded to the tubes. That way there is no space to make up inside of the muffler. I didnt enlarge the opening since i think it is already plenty big for a 6400 and I dont like overly loud saws just for the sake of them being loud. I also like to keep the spark arrestor intact on all outlets since me and many other people just haul our saws in the bed of a truck and i am always scared of junk blowing in through the opening.

AS 007.JPG

Put it all back together leaving out the 2 center layers of the muffler. there is no space to make up since those center layers go clear out to the crimped edge. you do have to crimp the whole way around the muffler since we removed 2 layers that were under the crimp. Here is what came out of the muffler and the gutted muffler.
AS 008.JPG AS 009.JPG

GREAT JOB!! Nate!!!!!

Just did one two weekends ago.....suire not as fast as you. I have trouble heating and uncrimping the crimp....:crazy: After that I'm good.

Had the same issues with a 7900 muffler but easier than the 6400 because of less layers....they got a lot of stuff crammed in those. Quite a bit of weight differenct too when done.

You guys make it look/sound easy. I too am a bit afraid to try it. If I mess it up I'll have three non running chainsaws on my hands.

6400 muffler seems like thicker steel too. that crimp is tough on them. this one wasnt so quick. took me more than a week to get time to do it.
You guys make it look/sound easy. I too am a bit afraid to try it. If I mess it up I'll have three non running chainsaws on my hands.
if you screw it up you just have to order a new muffler. no biggie. heating it up is the only difficult part. you have to have it red hot to bend it but its sheet metal so there is fine line between red hot and melted

if you screw it up you just have to order a new muffler. no biggie. heating it up is the only difficult part. you have to have it red hot to bend it but its sheet metal so there is fine line between red hot and melted

That's the part I'm nervous about. I have a knack for using too much torque and breaking bolts/screws, taking stuff apart and forgetting how to put it back together, etc. I may need to order a muffler before I try this.

Latest posts

Back