661C won't idle

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RyKR

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I must have the world's biggest piece of crap 661. It started off where it was just very weak and would barely run. I could run a 25" bar in a piece of dead maple and it would turn so slow that I could count the cutters as they went by. My Echo 600P regularly out cuts this thing. Anyways, none of the local shops could get it to run right for more than a couple of minutes. No amount of calibrating the carb or throwing the saw made a difference. I took it to a guy who mods saws. He did "some timing work, some carb work, some muffler work...." The saw ran great for months, I'm assuming that it finally ran the way that it was supposed to.

After awhile, it simply stopped idling down when the trigger is released. The chain keeps spinning, FAST. Sometimes, I can put the chain to the log and it will stop it so that I can engage the brake, other times it will just cut through the log. I've tried calibrating it, tightening the chain, and throwing it. Nothing helps. I'll put it away for a few days and then it runs fine. Sometimes it will run fine for a couple of hours and then start acting up. No rhyme or reason.

Any suggestions on the issue (not my poor grammar or anger management skills)?

Latest posts

Back