Another way to dress a bar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedFir Down

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I got tired of it taking so long to dress a bar with my Oregon bar dresser so I have a drill press and got to thinking.....
I used a 1X8 18" long (I used poplar because it seemed to have the smoothest finish at my local lumber yard). I cut a "U" out of the middle so the wheel would fit around it nicely.
The wheel is 4"x3/4"x1/2 arbor. It's a fine grit (100) wheel. I decided on this because I didn't want to remove to much material to quickly. The next wheel I get is going to a medium grit. (i think that would be ideal).
I used a 1/2 to 1/4 arbor adapter to chuck up the wheel in the press.
Oh and ignore the suction cups they didn't work like I thought.
Them I used a few clamps to secure the board to the table.

Another nice thing about is all the parts were less than $20. (minus the clamps I already had those)

I just got done dressing a few bars and it worked awesome. Very fast and precise.

I know people have different ways with great results dressing bars but I thought I would throw this out there as well.

uploadfromtaptalk1389464600317.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1389464627965.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1389464657825.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1389464699165.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1389464725875.jpg

Very nice!

Thanks for sharing with all the detail.

(Watch for sparks though!)

What speed are you running that wheel at?

Philbert

Oh sorry I knew I would be missing something. I have the drill press turning max RPM which is 3100.
The sparks aren't to bad with that fine 100 grit wheel on it. But yeah I keep am eye out for sparks.

th
These wheels are only supposed to be used along the outside rim/edge. Grinding on the faces can lead to catastrophic failure.

Philbert
that is very true ,but I personally have only seen
catastrophic failure on cutting discs when subjected to side load and 2 crank grinding wheels that wernt checked for ring before start up ,I would say a small wheel like the one pictured and only light grinding of a bar wouldn't present an issue,maybe an end wheel would be a better wheel for the job

I usually "dress" the bars by eliminating the need for it - by filing off any wire edges before they really develop, and keep the top of the rails square and flat.
I totally agree with you... Now can you tell that to everyone that brings saws to me??

Back