any saw mills giving a way free hard wood slab wood and scrap wood for burning

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lots of sources of free wood if you're available when it is and have a way to haul it. I know some tree services will put wood on your truck or trailer if you can be there when it needs to be moved. Most won't "leave it" for you to come get on Saturday or whatever. If they're doing a take down and you're parked at the property, you can probably get a load put on your vehicle for nothing. Less they have to haul off somewhere.

Well at least it is probably drier that the junk they sell in bundles around me!

I looked at that and thought...

"some expecting dolt is going to overpay for bark-on slabwood that is going to burn as fast as they can chuck it in the fireplace." Maybe 5-6 pumps....

Ok, here's another potential source of free wood. A friend of mine has some acreage at his home and lets a tree service dump their chips and also their large rounds that they don't want. He used to saw these large rounds and logs into firewood length, split and burn it to heat his house. So one day he's looking at all these piles of chips and takes a couple of five gallon pails of them into the house to put into his wood stove to see what happened.
Long story short, he pushes the rounds and logs into the woods with his Bobcat and just burns chips. He said it works great for his purposes.

Spoke to a friend today that worked at a box company, and asked about scraps, due to this thread. He said that they bought a grinder several years ago, and feed the ground scraps into a wood burning furnace, via an auger system, to heat the place. Makes sense.

Still, I am sure that there are places that generate more than they can use.

Philbert

A lot of the little saw mills around here have quite selling slabwood. They load it all in a roll-off dumpster and it gets ground into mulch, chips, whatever. Point is they don't wanna screw around with joe public and the hassle that comes with that (dickering over price) (FREE?! :laughing:)
Really wonder if these threads have ever netted him any?
Well, he obviously ain't froze yet...maybe he gets just enough wood from the "free firewood" CL ads to keep thawed...

Back