ATOP Racing Cut

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goran Carlstrom

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Dear All pro-chain saw users all over the world.

I have long expereince in chain saw development and sales promotion of Skandinavian made chain saws. One area that has been under low priority of development is the cutting geometry on the cutter. The chain speed has increased tremendously through the years but nothing has happend to the geometry on the cutter. This fact has been my focusing are for long time and today do i have a filegauge and a complete new sharpening method based on a flatfile made by Vallorbe. Please note that all cutter for maximal cutting speed and smoothness should be sharped by a flatfile. To those of you that just have heard about square ground sharpening and not have been able to do it here come the chance.

You will hear more form me soon and i"m just about to launch my home page www.atop.se

Regards
Göran Carlström
ATOP rcing cut
Sweden

Hi Goran,

Your link doesn`t seem to be working. I`d like to know more about your product.

Russ

what he said would make a fella think abit... but why fix something,, that aint broke... ill stick with what i know. pityfly little as it is.:)
besides i didnt see no link there either.

Dangling enticement.

Looking forward to some new thoughts on sharpening. Would like to see what you describe as "flat file"

Frank

To Frank and all you others out there,

The ATOP sharpening for both semichisel and fullchisel chains are based on an "ordinary" flatfile 6" with cut on the radius on the file.
The flatfile are made by Vallorbe Swiss according to my specification and quality. The point by the sharpening and the whole project is to achive square ground cutting performance by a cheeper file and with less accuracy. We have dmade it and the 0.325 filgauge are in production the 3/8 one are on it"s way.

Contact Mike Acres in Wancouver who distribute for further info.Pleae note that he only having the 0.325 version in stock. See also comments from testing by chain saw experts in Wancouver.

Hello Goran:
Peter Holmquist came to our office as I said and we did conduct a quick
test of the chain you sent us.
What we found was that your chain would cut as fast as one of Peter's
square filed racing chains.
This was a simple comparison using a 371 Husqvarna. See attached pictures.
Peter then went home to his workshop and did some filing on some of his
own chain and did some testing on a larger log. He is very happy with
the speed of the cutting.

Originally posted by sedanman
Jokers, Re-read his text, hes ABOUT to launch his homepage, it doesn'e exist yet.

Good point Paul. If you`ll notice, I posted that in the middle of the night. I`m still recovering from being awake for the past three nights and as such still have the comprehension of a gnat! LOL.

Russ

I don't know what my excuse is.  For some reason I'd thought Frank had posted the thread starter...

Glen

Boy this really looks like one of those e-mails I receive often from "sellers" on e-bay wanting to deal with me directly on a brand new 088 in the box for $400.00 complete with an "international" warranty.

Goran- just so you know, some of us here have been flatfiling for 15 or more years and have already made just about every change to the geometry of a cutter tooth profile that can possibly be made, short of remanufacturing a completely new type of tooth, which some members here have done also.

Jacob, I think what he is talking about is a jig similar to the Oregon roller guides that makes it easier for neophytes to square file. As I know you are aware square filing is a bit harder to master than round filing. Pretty scary when you consider most people take a long time to master round filing. I know it took me several months of doing it daily before I became decent at it and I am not the best by any means.

Goran, I've tried filing with a flat file, a triangle file, and everything else. All your doing is making your tooth more agressive. That might make you rip and tear some soft wood but it isn't smooth cutting, and we all know a smooth cutting chain is a fast cutting chain. If you want some real comparison testing send a couple of these jigs to me or Tom Fales. On second thought, don't bother, I'll stick to my chisel file. Good luck and happy marketing! Dennis

Originally posted by Goran Carlstrom
To Frank and all you others out there,

The ATOP sharpening for both semichisel and fullchisel chains are based on an "ordinary" flatfile 6" with cut on the radius on the file.
The flatfile are made by Vallorbe Swiss according to my specification and quality. The point by the sharpening and the whole project is to achive square ground cutting performance by a cheeper file and with less accuracy. We have dmade it and the 0.325 filgauge are in production the 3/8 one are on it"s way.

Sounds like using the " goofy " file if it will also work on semi-chisel. Send a sample to Gypo logger and see how it cuts compared to some chains he has.

Frank

Pleas send a sample chain in .325 .063 74 drivers if you have 3/8 ready, .050 72 drivers and we will evaluate it at DozerDans get together. Send it to me
Paul Archer
111 e Willow st
Beacon, NY

What do they need you for Gypo, that chain will sharpen it self. Art probably sent that chain to ya, so he wouldn't have to file anymore rocked out chain for you. Hey, don't sucker and buy one of those jigs. Even the 90 second tickle would be better than a chain filed with a flat file. Good luck LOL Dennis

Gypo sells those special race chins dirt cheap, the catch is they cant be sharpened with anything but his proprietary brand file which cost $ 139.95 US$ each.

Dennis C. The reason for sending the chain to Gypo for unbiased evaluation is that he is the official chainsaw mediator. If you want to get a sample off to him, I'm sure he'll give it a going over!
That gang of ruffians that hang around Dozer Dans.....well ....Lol!

Frank

Crofter, I bet ya Dozer Dan starts selling those Swedish filing jigs for Goran, cause they use a flat file for everything in Pennsilkentucky.

I've shown Gypo my barb-wire, and he just asked why it was sharpen on both ends?, and I said any dumb$hit knows that question. I wonder if he really knew? Dennis

Back