Grinding chain loops and the difference between left and right hand cutters..

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My procedure (takes longer to read than to do!):

- grind all the cutters on one side (say, the Left cutters);

- grind one, ‘test cutter’ on the other (Right) side;

IMG_5369.jpeg

- compare this test cutter, back-to-back, with one cutter from the other side, and adjust grinder settings (chain stop, wheel depth, etc.) as needed.

- grind the rest of the cutters.

This becomes ‘automatic’ to me. I do my Left cutters first, back off the chain stop 1/4 to 1/2 turn, lower my grinder head stop the same, and I am usually right on.

Philbert

Generally when someone starts to gripe about a saw cutting crooked, they start with "the bar's bent!" then progress to "the rakers are too high!" and the true sophisticates say " the bar rails are uneven!" In fact, most of the time it's just a dull chain, as in the teeth are not sharp.

You forgot a few options: the bar groove is worn out too wide, and the chain is lying on its side cutting crooked. Then the side straps wear more on one side, and that particular chain cuts crooked as any, while another chain fixes that problem. New chain? The worn bar groove soon puts the new chain into cutting crooked, too.

Latest posts

Back