Awesome video of felling a hanger! Wanted to share

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The worst felling experience I ever had.
I had one hang straight up off the stump. I was cutting like popeye dropping 4’ sections to the ground. I wasn’t paying attention to the upper part of the tree were it separates into a large two limb vee. All of a sudden I was face to face with the vee and it’s falling towards me. I prayed it didn’t twist on the way over me. I got luck it bounced and stayed horizontal. After that I didn’t rush anymore. That last tree of the day to make a full load can bite me.

I was new and in a rush for Miller time.

Forester here, noting that not one logger here has described experience with this method. That oughta tell you all a thing. You'd think those guys would want to say a thing or two about

yeah, no, I don't want to get into this either

forget I said anything

these are not the droids you're looking for

I love having a good sized tractor and a skidding winch in my arsenal. If I'm worried about one hanging up, I'll take a few minutes and set a bull rope in it. I'd rather just be able to give it a yank if needed instead of messing around once it's hung up.

As for the video, sure it's cool, but dang that looks sketchy. I don't want anything that big moving that close to be, especially coming down from overhead. Obviously it's supposed to ride the other log, but what happens if it doesn't?

I love having a good sized tractor and a skidding winch in my arsenal. If I'm worried about one hanging up, I'll take a few minutes and set a bull rope in it. I'd rather just be able to give it a yank if needed instead of messing around once it's hung up.

As for the video, sure it's cool, but dang that looks sketchy. I don't want anything that big moving that close to be, especially coming down from overhead. Obviously it's supposed to ride the other log, but what happens if it doesn't?
It is nice isn't it :).
Nothing could go wrong you worry to much, oh wait, how did it get hung up in the first place lol.

i wish i could hand fall in that gravy ground..pretty neat way to burn all kinds of time.

Latest posts

Back