Milling in Mexico

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was salvaging some old video from my life in Mexico, and came across this video circa 2016 or so my buddy shot of our milled guanacaste/parota wood on one site next to a tiny school in the foothills of the coastal mountains. This was a fairly small guanacaste, but we never had the gear to tackle the biggest ones we wanted to. It's just a short rough bit of video but thought I'd share. The local from a nearby village we worked with freehand milled with twice the speed of us and nearly the accuracy with just a Husky 372 or 365. But my 045 Super was impossibly temperamental with its failing ignition back then and this was some of my first Alaskan milling so we got things done about half the speed we should have at best.

Attachments

• Mexicanmilling.mp4
    2.9 MB
I would love to see a video of free hand milling.
Wish we'd taken some of the guy we worked with - we called him the "maestro" because he was so skilled. Taught me the most important thing in milling is sharpening over saw size or anything else. He kept his chains razor sharp and cut mostly all with the tip. A whole art form in itself. We only did the wide slabs in the video, he did everything else.

Latest posts

Back