Barber chair

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll be chaining my first tree ever in the next day or two. Not becases it's a leaner, even though it is, but because it's already split nearly in half and that split is working against the direction it needs to go (about 90 degrees from the lean).

Here's a heavy leaning dead ash dropped a couple years ago using the plunge & bore method

Two big dead ash leaning over my trail through the woods. The bigger one had a 10" cedar hung up in it.

Cleared my escape routes. Cut a shallow steep notch to try to steer it away from the black walnuts growing in the area

Drew a line around the trunk with my saw then plunged & bored out the center

Bulls eye! (Sorry this pics a little fuzzy, I was shaking pretty good after she hit the ground
eek.gif
)

Doesn't look like much, but it popped pretty good when I was cutting the trigger from the center out. That was my queue to run for the hills.

So you bored in and cut from the hinge out toward the outside of the tree.

Yes, that is correct. Cut a small notch first, bore in and get your hinge correct, then cut from the hinge out toward the back stopping a couple of inches shy of all the way. What is left is the trigger. Cut that last little bit, the trigger, from the outside in and be ready to move when you cut it.

I used to use just a log chain but that can't get tight, still stops a chair from proceding though. Then I went to the tie-down straps - one broke. Now it is logchain and chain binder.

Plunge cutting does work but I still chain them. Currently working a grove where every tree has a very wicked lean.

Same here, went through the same experiences. With the chain and chain binder I can get them TIGHT!

I had to cut the middle stem growing out of a crotch by holding the saw above my head. I knew it would chair and that I would be safe (due to the right hand stem). Still scared me when it did chair. I had no way of getting up there to chain it.

Back