Pin holes in firebox.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deuceindtown

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
A few weeks ago, had a lot of water in the firebox making the ash a slushy mess. Cleaned that out and scraped the side and uncovered a pin hole. I ended up patching it with JB weld extreme heat. Yesterday, came across similar issue. Scooped it out again, but this time on the right side. Only there are three pin holes in about a three inch area. Or sure what to do now. These are near the middle of the sides, no welds around it. Hit it with JB weld and hope I don't get more leaks then cut and patch after the burning season?? Do it now and hope for the best?
The unit is 9 years old. Seems like junk metal was used.

Assuming this is an outdoor wood burner. If you have to, you can try to limp it along to finish out the season, but I think you'll be chasing it forever to repair it. If the hole was at a weld I think you'd be more likely able to fix it, but not in the middle of the wall. The entire firebox is suspect now.

Start budgeting for a replacement..

Assuming this is an outdoor wood burner. If you have to, you can try to limp it along to finish out the season, but I think you'll be chasing it forever to repair it. If the hole was at a weld I think you'd be more likely able to fix it, but not in the middle of the wall. The entire firebox is suspect now.

Cold hard truth right there.

Yes. It's an outdoor wood burner. And I was thinking the same thing... I'll be chasing leaks.

Replacing it is pretty much out. I've only had it for about 9 years. Not dropping another $15k for one. Besides, I'm getting too old for this stuff! 😅 Chasing would, loading, unloading, splitting, loading and stacking.. if I do anything, I'll go GEOthermal

For sure. Disappointed that it's like this in just 9 seasons. Definitely not replacing it. Too old for all the work
I've had mine for a bit more time that that, but also am considering whether or not it's something I'd want to jump into again.

My plan B would a high efficiency furnace and selling firewood to fund LP.

Latest posts

Back