Barber chair

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ron-just the cherry and the Elm pose any problems. The one on the top is a short snag and the little one in the background is staying for now.

There are two aspen out of the view that are coming down too but I'm going to put the face at an angle so they will somewhat tip sideways and away from the park equipment.

Ron-just the cherry and the Elm pose any problems. The one on the top is a short snag and the little one in the background is staying for now.

There are two aspen out of the view that are coming down too but I'm going to put the face at an angle so they will somewhat tip sideways and away from the park equipment.
@svk Where is the camp you are working at?

svk, of the 5 leaners in your photo there appears to be at least 4 species, correct? Regardless of species, I try to anticipate a chair on any leaner. Below is one of the "good" cherry I get to cut. No barber chair - probably due to the rotten core. A good core, at least in oak, would have been almost a guaranteed chair without some precautions. Ron

View attachment 559755
View attachment 559756
View attachment 559757

View attachment 559758
OK, I gotta ask - in all seriousness when they lean like that who cares if they chair or split? It's almost on the ground, there isn't any doubt about where it's going to go, and if it splits it isn't going to fall on you. Seems to me that 6" poison ivy vine is more of a concern, and I barely get it!

OK, I gotta ask - in all seriousness when they lean like that who cares if they chair or split? It's almost on the ground, there isn't any doubt about where it's going to go, and if it splits it isn't going to fall on you. Seems to me that 6" poison ivy vine is more of a concern, and I barely get it!

Not a logger so my concern with chairing is strictly safety. My post was just to illustrate to my concerned friend that you can cut severely leaning cherry without chairing - was too far in the post when I noticed my selected illustration showed a hollow cherry.

When you know someone who spent most of their adult life in a nursing home due to a chair, you go out of your way to learn - even if the tree is practically on the ground - unlikely such a tree will hit you but possible to slap you with your saw.

Ron

Not a logger so my concern with chairing is strictly safety. My post was just to illustrate to my concerned friend that you can cut severely leaning cherry without chairing - was too far in the post when I noticed my selected illustration showed a hollow cherry.

When you know someone who spent most of their adult life in a nursing home due to a chair, you go out of your way to learn - even if the tree is practically on the ground - unlikely such a tree will hit you but possible to slap you with your saw.

Ron
I wasn't trying to be flippant, and I know any tree cutting situation can be dangerous - there are large forces in play and things moving that weigh much more than us. When something is over that far and splits, getting the saw caught or flung is one of the things I'm concerned about.

Nothing personal: Since there are likely many who read these threads without participating, I hesitate to post too much about what I do for fear I might get someone hurt. So when I do I try to point out risks even though the thread participants are likely better cutters than me.

To that unseen audience I will say that "so what" trees/situations make good practice for when the ante is greater. Remembering of course as implied above ever tree/situation must be evaluated as there is some risk in all.

Ron

View attachment 551314 Here's a classic example of a dutchmen, not mine. It was a 30" spruce. Spruce is one of the most forgiving species when it comes to chairing.

I cut a grade walnut for a guy a couple years ago, and before we got back in there (a tree he worked out a deal with, with landowner), there was an ash (prob 36" dbh) laying on the ground that someone had just cut. The whole back half of the tree had started to separate from the front. I looked at the stump, sure enough... Just like you see here. The dude probably never knew how close he was to getting pounded into the ground like a bug.

Lol...they are from the Maritimes for sure ..NO? Who else would do that BS..lol

I haven't listened to it with out any background noise but I'd say I hear a New Brunswick accent or PEI?

Did you guys see the one on the FB "Chainsaws" page where the guy goes to cut down that big tree and it starts to uproot and tip over when he walks up to it and you see him hop off the rootball?

Did you guys see the one on the FB "Chainsaws" page where the guy goes to cut down that big tree and it starts to uproot and tip over when he walks up to it and you see him hop off the rootball?
No I haven't.
BC style ...Fort st John British Columbia.
The Native boys having a bit of fun.
I never heard about this one but it was on the evening news tonight. A $4,600 fine for stressing out the wildlife.
Funny they can shoot them anytime they want.
I think I know the moose rider?
I know everyone up that way

"Moose Rider" vidio

https://www.google.ca/search?q=moos...droid-samsung&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

Think of the days of gone,
My travels spent in Fort ST John

movements of a rabbit,
That creature of habit
The good ol' days in fort St John,
tongue of an elk, _
a warm beavers pelt, _
Oh where have the good days gone

Her tìts hung loose
like the balls of a moose

That's my Lil' gal from Fort ST John

~WBF