Better to be Canadian ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

confused

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Canadian chainsaw brothers,

I have read in this forum I think that chainsaws are cheaper in your Northern Country than they would be in the states. I have I think seen it stated that they are 20% cheaper there. Is this so? Are Stihl, Husky that much cheaper? If they are do you have to be a Canadian citizen to buy them? If they are cheaper then hey Canada isn’t that far of a drive besides I have never been outside my country and would be worth the trip to see Canada and to maybe build on my collection too.

Confused

Last edited:
You'll probably be stopped at the border and told they don't meet american E.P.A. standards !!! Then they'll confiscate your new puchases and you'll have nothing.Remember,this is a FREE country.:D

dont forget the Northern Tax...when you come here you have to bring, or buy a single shot rifle(for the polar bears) and a Stihl 090 with a 59" bar to cut out ice blocks (for your house)...and of course two Husky dogs to pull your sled....

Kevin,

Don't go out of your way. I was just wondering if what i heard was true. If it is/was I was going to think about possibly a 026 or 066 this summer depending on how my engineering co-op goes. Like i said its not a federal case to find out but if you accidently find out i would certainly appreciate it though just for future reference. O i have another question does John Walker deal Stihl? I might then buy from him and have him work his magic while its brand new also.

Thanks

confused

I just got an 026. It cost $650 at the local saw shop would've normally bought a husky but stihl was $100 off. It might be a good deal by the time you change your money (you could probably walk away with the shop as well). I also think you can get part of the tax back at the border(GST). It would be a good idea to call customs ahead of time to see if there would be any problems bring saws over the border and if there is any duty on them.

Smith

I think the cost of saws very all across North America, however saws made at the Stihl factory in Virginia beach are cheaper in the States than we can get them here. The Pro models may be cheaper here, but once again dealers vary in price. I think an America is allowed to bring 500$ worth of merchandise over the border without Customs or Duty. Some saws that are available in Canada are not available in the States due to emmisions control, such as the 090, 070, 08S and 038, although the 070 is still made it is unavailable in Canada as well. Walkers is a Husky dealer.
John

not on subject but just thought id comment that its uncommon for the peoples of two nations to share the relationship that exist
between us.its a good thing.just my thoughts.saturday nite an all
:) later now;)

From what I have seen, I can get a saw cheaper in the states, Husky, Stihl, or Jonsered, even with the average exchange rate. I`d bet that if Wolf_River_Mike went back to Walker`s today, the price would have changed again. The manufacturers know about the exchange rate and are as affected as we are. Maybe if you hit the spot market so to speak, but the exchange was over 60 cents last week and it didn`t really make that much difference in the sale price. Everybody is going to work this to their own advantage and you can`t really fault them for that. There doesn`t appear to be any Canadian government subsidy on saws so there doesn`t seem to really be any special deals. Where I found the advantage in purchasing from Walkers is that John could start working on my saw immediately instead of waiting for me to ship one up, but it still cost me about $30 USD more than it would have locally, even with 7% sales tax and shipping to him. Considering that I don`t mind supporting Walker`s in their endeavor to hop these saws up, and I know his work is first rate, I wasn`t going to worry about $30. Walker`s don`t sell Stihl per se, but they have an arrangement with a local dealer so they can provide you with what you want. Russ

Gypo has a good point about the duty . I don`t know yet whether I`m going to get hammered with one on the saw I get from Walker`s. John has said that noone ever complained so he assumed that there wasn`t one, but if I were to ship a saw to him, and it appeared that he bought it from me, he would pay a significant duty. Maybe this affects the base price in Canada also. Russ

Hi All, John was able to, and took it upon himself to adjust the price on my saw where it comes out the same as if I bought local. First rate business I would say. I`ve been very impressed with him. I also wanted to point out that we who post here are very lucky to have the services of John, but also others such Dennis who has been just as professional, and of course Ken. I have had great pleasure in doing business with John and Dennis so far, and Ken will be getting a saw from me within the next few weeks if he has time for it. This site has been a gold mine for being a source of skilled and reputable saw builders. Russ

Hey confused,

I'm not far from the border either. I've always wanted to check Canada out myself. Maybe some day I'll see you up there at a Stihl dealer. I'll be the one in Carhartts hitching a ride on a senior's prescription drug bus.

I always sit in the back.

there, one important factors about declared value, is that the saw is only worth what you say it is worth, ie., once modified, the saw is for all intents and purposes used. So if you send a saw into Canada, describe it as repair and return on the documents and send it priority mail etc., but it is best to talk with the shop that will receive it first. Canadians get hit hard for items that arent declared properly coming from the U.S. I never did understand free trade, but I wish I was a customs broker.
John

Hey I have another? For our Canadian brothers. Do they still sell 070 and 090 brand new in your great country? If so what does a new 070 and 090 go for and what are the capabilities of those saws. I saw a couple pictures of them and they look awful aggressive. If they are still available do they take well to some modifications like Walkerizing or perhaps Mr. Ken Dunn could do something with one too. I just like the way those horses look is all.

Thanks
Confused

Looks like I just added some more Saws to the eventual collection list 026, 066, and 088, possibly 070, 090.

G'day confused,

Yeah, they still sell the 090 brand new up there in the 'great cold land' - well, all the photos of Johns I see have snow in them!! Must be out East??!!....
Think of the 090 as the V8 of saws, other than its not a V and its only got 1 cylinder! Its the torque of the beast that will impress. Revs out at @ 8000 but wont stop for much, if anything.
surprised.gif
Great for slabbing large stumps etc.
This is mine (ex Canada) prior to getting saw dust all over it, w/a 41" bar.
Cheers
Charlie.

G'day confused,

Yeah, they still sell the 090 brand new up there in the 'great cold land' - well, all the photos of Johns I see have snow in them!! Must be out East??!!....
Think of the 090 as the V8 of saws, other than its not a V and its only got 1 cylinder! Its the torque of the beast that will impress. Revs out at @ 8000 but wont stop for much, if anything.
surprised.gif
Great for slabbing large stumps etc.
This is mine (ex Canada) prior to getting saw dust all over it, w/a 41" bar.
Cheers
Charlie.

Back