Biggest Stump I Have Seen, In Person

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know what you mean, I got to deal with the cheap-po's here too, most of the guys around here have tow-behinds, I grind for just about everybody with or with out a grinder here. But my biggest deal is the folks that'll run their grinder for almost nothing! I'll drive off in a heart-beat if i don't get what I want! I'm not in business to go out of business!!!

yeah, some of my competition will throw in the stump for like 50$ - hard to compete with that

asholes

forgot attachment...

At least its on tracks and can go through a small gate, do you have a remote for it? I wouldn't have one without the remote!!! I grind everday, as long as its not pouring down, the tow behinds have too many restrictions, and seem to be a waste of money. And now a days you can get big hp grinders that are portable, like the Vermeer SC1152 110HP!!! and the Bandit 2900HD 114HP!!! and still yard friendly and gate accessible. I also prefer tracks over wheels too!!!

forgot attachment...

that's a sweet grinder ya got there.. I rent that unit when I can't get my tow behind on the stump or it's too much for the little guy. A bit under powered IMO but it does a good job and will go anywhere

At least its on tracks and can go through a small gate, do you have a remote for it? I wouldn't have one without the remote!!! I grind everday, as long as its not pouring down, the tow behinds have too many restrictions, and seem to be a waste of money. And now a days you can get big hp grinders that are portable, like the Vermeer SC1152 110HP!!! and the Bandit 2900HD 114HP!!! and still yard friendly and gate accessible. I also prefer tracks over wheels too!!!

I'm looking into an rg 50 super or an rg 90, but make no mistake, although those grinders will fit through a gate they will still break sandstone and are heavy as hell. always nice to have a 25 horse for those tight situations..

I'm looking into an rg 50 super or an rg 90, but make no mistake, although those grinders will fit through a gate they will still break sandstone and are heavy as hell. always nice to have a 25 horse for those tight situations..

My next grinders will probaly be a Carlton SP7015TRX with the new 66hp Kubota and SP2000 27hp, to replace my Vermeer SC60TX 60hp and SC130 13hp

Cut all the wood down to where the roots are...2 feet? then grind it down to 6 inches below....push all the grindings back. If i did that with no clean up i would say 1000 bucks sounds about right. 1300-1400ish with cleanup.

Would probably take a good 1/2 - 3/4 the day with a vermeer 372. Including sawing...no cleanup

My sc505 didn't come with a remote. Will have to check to see if one can be added but i don't plan to use this machine day in and day out. Maybe 50 hours/year if I'm lucky. Price was right so I couldn't resist giving it a try. I plan to keep either my 25hp vermeer sc252 or my 30hp stump slayer skid steer grinder. Got both for sale but figure I'll keep whichever doesn't sell first to use on the nice lawns and small stumps.

My sc505 didn't come with a remote. Will have to check to see if one can be added but i don't plan to use this machine day in and day out. Maybe 50 hours/year if I'm lucky. Price was right so I couldn't resist giving it a try. I plan to keep either my 25hp vermeer sc252 or my 30hp stump slayer skid steer grinder. Got both for sale but figure I'll keep whichever doesn't sell first to use on the nice lawns and small stumps.

man, it sounds like your set up pretty darn good!, how big of outfit do you have? I have a bunch of stuff, but its all old, beat up farm junk!

Guy ground my stump for $120.00. He had a self propelled unit, claimed 90 hp. looked new. I had cut the beast down to near ground level, burned on it some,,it was too wet to burn, and I was very pleased with his work. The trunk measured about 48" across but man those roots running just under the grass/ yard went every where !! He knocked the hell out of them also, I did the clean up. He was in and out, job done in maybe 40 min, and was on site the 2nd day after I called him. I had been waiting for weeks for some crack head advertising $12.00 a stump,,minimum $120.00. I had called him 10 days after contacting him, as he had said he'd call me "next week"..claimed he was really backed up, I mentioned he was only about 12 miles down the road and I'll pay $250.00, or anything reasonable, I want this thing GONE. That was 1st of May..The clown called me in August wanting the job...wonder how long he'll be in buisness..

man, it sounds like your set up pretty darn good!, how big of outfit do you have? I have a bunch of stuff, but its all old, beat up farm junk!

just 3 of us at present time. been in business for 27 years though so been slowly upgrading my stuff year after year. Eventually, if you keep working at it, you get your old junk upgraded to new stuff. Keep at it...

AP

I never tried burning a stump before, how do ya go about doing that

This is usually how the 5-10 year plan works:

Homeowner starts by dulling several chainsaw chains gouging away at stump to try to cut below level. Then HO proceeds to drill a couple hundred holes in the stump thinkin this will allow air and moisture in thus, speed up decay. Then HO pours a few gallons of diesel on it and lights it up. Then HO repeats this step until his 12-pack is gone and all the hot dogs are roasted with that 'special' flavor diesel fuel fumes provide. Then HO tries to dig out stump figuring it should pop right out being cut, drilled and burned a few times. After spending all weekend chopping at roots with a hatchet and dulling a few more chainsaw blades, the guy's wife calls the stump guy to come grind it out already. To the dismay of Homeowners, the stump is neither rotted nor burnt up and actually pretty darn solid an inch or so under the surface thus, bringing to their realization that they have wasted all that time fooling around with something that they should have just had ground out in the first place and not been mowing around for the last 5 years.

I have had one stump, however, that was an exception. After all the aforementioned steps had been completed by the HO and the stump still remained, he called me in to grind it. I barely even touched it with the grinder wheel and the whole 30" stump ripped right out of the ground. He had chopped every root around the stump except one small one that was still hanging on by a thread. The stump took literally 30 seconds to remove and he got a bill for my minimum of $40 just to show up. He was a good sport and just shrugged his shoulders replying, "well, the cleanup will be easy..." :smile2:

Yeahthats what I figured I never figuered that would work, dynamite does! My dad had some, not sure what it was for, but I used it all blowing the hell out of stumps, trees whatever needed to be moved, I moved it. But I guess you couldnt get that done in the towns

the co I work for would bid that thing at like 2500 hoping they did't get it but we would because everybody else would bid it at 5K

the biggest stump my crew left behind on a non municipal gig this year, not sure if we had to grind it or not, was close to 8 feet. but log just barely fit in the semi. one of the muni trees we did left close to a 13' stump the co that grinds those things has to do it dirt cheap on there contract... both were bad ass american elms that had dutch elm

I got rid of a 20+ inch stump using charcoal. Put three bags on it the first time and it burned for two and a half days. It rained and killed the coals. Waited a week and lit another bag on it and it burned itself out in two days. Now have a nice 16 inch hole in the ground to fill up.

What was remarkable was how little smoke it made after it caught. The stump was two years old. That is how I will get rid of the last three stumps in my yard. The biggest one is about 34 inches in diameter, waiting for cold weather to set in.

Reckon you can't do this in city limits unless one "makes" a "fireplace" with cinderblocks around the stump. Charcoal rocks!

I got a stump to do that is a bastid. I'll get pic's tomorrow. Coral tree behind a retaining wall. The wall is about 3' high and the ground about 2' higher. The wall has to come down to do it as it has pushed the wall out some. Gonna start with a Vermeer 672. At the start, the stump grinder will be below the stump.
Jeff

Arbor pros post:
That's what I call hitting the nail on the head.

Well said :rock:

If you don't have one or two stories like that one, then you have not been in the stump biz for very long.

Last edited:
Guy ground my stump for $120.00. He had a self propelled unit, claimed 90 hp. looked new. I had cut the beast down to near ground level, burned on it some,,it was too wet to burn, and I was very pleased with his work. The trunk measured about 48" across but man those roots running just under the grass/ yard went every where !! He knocked the hell out of them also, I did the clean up. He was in and out, job done in maybe 40 min, and was on site the 2nd day after I called him. I had been waiting for weeks for some crack head advertising $12.00 a stump,,minimum $120.00. I had called him 10 days after contacting him, as he had said he'd call me "next week"..claimed he was really backed up, I mentioned he was only about 12 miles down the road and I'll pay $250.00, or anything reasonable, I want this thing GONE. That was 1st of May..The clown called me in August wanting the job...wonder how long he'll be in buisness..

Cheap crack heads don't last long, I've seen several that have gotten into this business thinking that their going to run the show by being cheap as hell, well all it got them, was a broke down grinder with no money to fix it and out of business!!! Rule of thumb, It takes money to make money!!!

an old farmers trick

several of the good ole country boys I know say: make a "hat" or "cap" out of aluminum foil that will fit over the stump, pile briquettes over the stop, get them lit, and cover it with the aluminum and "she'll burn out like my cousin Fred when the keg runs out" lmao (dueling banjo's in the background)

Back