Breaking in a New Chain Saw Chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dexron II or III?

Don't act stupid on this one, you know only to use Mercon on the pre 78 chains and Dexron III works on all 79 and later chains. Dexron II can be used though on 79 to 94 chains if Dexron III is not available.

:poke:

If you are new to the site, just run the stinkin' chain with oil in the saw and don't worry about it. If you feel the desire to soak it, then by all means soak it. I don't.

Last edited:
tsk tsk.

Dex II and III don't officially exist anymore so you have to use Dex VI which is backwards compatible. :greenchainsaw:

Now wait a second, dont confuse every one, do you mean Dex IV, Dex V, Or Dex VI?

And runnning Dex II, III or any others when specs call for Mercon can be a bad idea.

Last edited:
Does anyone used the supplied screwdriver socket thingo to tighten thier bar nuts? I use a socket, It seems much tighter on the nut.

I use a ratchet and socket too.

After years of over tightening the nuts on the Dolmar with a 1/2" drive ratchet the studs broke. On inspection they seemed to be stretched. I now use a Stalwhille flexi socket wrench. Its a lot shorter than the ratchet and is a nice tool to use as well.

After years of over tightening the nuts on the Dolmar with a 1/2" drive ratchet the studs broke. On inspection they seemed to be stretched. I now use a Stalwhille flexi socket wrench. Its a lot shorter than the ratchet and is a nice tool to use as well.
Yup, Know what ya mean.you can tighten one up too much. I also use a shorty ratchet.

I always treat my new chains in a bucket of liquid nitrogen. The affect is transformation from austenite to martensite which increases their strength and hardness. Just do a search under "cryogenic hardening".

Once you do it just throw away the silly files and jigs and chains will stay sharp for years and years.

I always treat my new chains in a bucket of liquid nitrogen. The affect is transformation from austenite to martensite which increases their strength and hardness. Just do a search under "cryogenic hardening".

Once you do it just throw away the silly files and jigs and chains will stay sharp for years and years.

I wonder how a pair of 24 lbs nuts would perform after they were "cryogenically hardend"?

Back