Old CRAFTSMAN SAW

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey folks,
Got a question about a chainsaw and though this might be the right place for it !
I was given a old Craftsman Chain saw a few years back ( love all old equipment especially when you get them cleaned up and looking and running better than a new one)
It is a Craftman 24" 3.7 C.I. 61 cc's and it looks and runs perfectly !!!!
The problem I'm running into is this,
I need a new Chain !!!!!
They no longer make the Chain or bar for this machine. Chain #71-36224 and currently there is a oregon chain on it 84 DL's and links are stamped 76
so sears parts direct says there chains are discontinued and Oregon says the 76 was discontinued many many years ago
The bar (original) # 530-044672 only has the model number and made in Canada stamped on it
I can't find ANY info on this saw no manuals no pictures no references nothing, like it never existed yet I'm looking at it
Can anyone steer me in the right direction on how to get a new chain on this machine ?
Thank you
It's a bit tricky with discontinued parts. You might want to explore custom chain options. Local chainsaw shops with experienced staff could be a good resource

Chains are not all that difficult and are not specific to any saw model. What one needs to know is, the pitch, either .404, 3/8" regular or 3/8" low profile sometimes called picco , or .325 are most common, next the gauge of the drivers that run in the bar groove, most common are .050, .058 ,.063 and for some of the smaller saws there is.043 , the number of drive links are the parts that determine the length of the chain often referred to as DL count . The type of cutter on the chain is mostly chisel or semi chisel but either will cut wood well, getting into specialized chain like skip, semi skip or ripping chain is not really necessary for most individuals just wanting to cut up firewood.

Ah yes, the 3.7. My father in law bought one new in the late 70s. Not a bad unit, fixed jet high side that was very rich.
Parts it out around 2000 due to lack of parts.
It replaced a Remington Super 660 that still exists and may still run. That is the saw that introduced me to firewood cutting. I swear it weighed 20 pounds.
Was that the roper made one? All 3 of my craftsman 3.7 made by poulan had fully adjustable carbs with H sides. HDB and HDA

Attachments

• hdbc.jpg
    hdbc.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back