Buying a Echo CS-590- altitude tune

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mu34tant

Reaction score
I am wanting to buy a Echo cs-590 for general purpose. I purchased a small lot with a bunch of mulberry trees that need to be removed. I am in my small town small engine repair shop and the owner wants to sell me a 590 with 18" bar. I told him I want to buy one with a 20" bar. He said he'd sell me a 24" bar and chain for $70 on top of the $399 for the saw. I said no. Asked him if he would do warranty work on Echo saw bought from somewhere else. He said he would except his pro customers would come first, then equipment bought from his store then my saw months later. I am walking towards the door and he says " You know Echo saws are built at 3000 ft altitude. If you buy a box saw from Home Depot it'll be fine if you just use it for a couple hours but if you use it at sea level (we are in Florida) every week it will burn up. The mix will be too lean." @! Well I've unpacked a couple Huskies working for Asplund and the saws worked fine. Can't say as I ever bought an Echo before, so I don't know. lol Question is- Do I need to adjust carb tune on my new 20" CS-590 for use at sea level?

I believe every saw (minus the Autotune and Mtronics) should have their tune verified. There are enough differences in air density due to altitude, temp, and weather to be a factor. Additionally saw manufactures are trying to meet an emissions goal. I tend to err to the side of being too rich on a new saw and turning the high needle out a bit. The goal of hearing it 4 stroke (miss) at wide open and then cleaning up once in wood works really well. Saws with rev limiters may make this harder to distinguish.

ebay- $345 free shipping with tax save $80. He didn't have the 20" bar in stock, wouldn't give any discount on the 18" and wanted to charge me another $70 for bigger bar

Latest posts

Back