Non-working Echo CS-590

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DevinceDog

Reaction score
I recently bought a used Echo Timberwolf CS-590. Yesterday I spent an hour cutting a large oak stump. The saw ran great the entire time. Today I can't get it to start. I noticed some fuel leaking from around the decomp valve as pulled it over. The valve is tight and threaded properly. I'm guessing the decomp valve needs replaced, I just want to get some other opinions before I drop $50 on a new one. I also don't know why the old one would've failed. Thanks for any tips or advice!

Yes, it did flood after a couple attempts to start it. I pulled the plug, cleaned it, and confirmed it has spark. Obviously, it's getting fuel so I'm not sure what's causing problems. Thanks for the help with the decomp. This is my first saw with one.

I recently bought a used Echo Timberwolf CS-590. Yesterday I spent an hour cutting a large oak stump. The saw ran great the entire time. Today I can't get it to start. I noticed some fuel leaking from around the decomp valve as pulled it over. The valve is tight and threaded properly. I'm guessing the decomp valve needs replaced, I just want to get some other opinions before I drop $50 on a new one. I also don't know why the old one would've failed. Thanks for any tips or advice!

A new decomp valve also should not cost $50, PROBABLY not even on a stihl

You might already be aware of this (I didn't know until a year or so ago), but there is a "fast idle" setting on the choke. If you pull the choke out, it's choked as you would expect but the throttle is also partially engaged. If you push the choke back in without touching the throttle the choke opens but the throttle remains engaged. Touch the trigger and the throttle pops back to it's normal position.
It's not a magic fix for a grumpy saw but it's another trick you can try.
If you want to bypass the decomp you can push it up through the spark plug hole with a 90* pick.

A new decomp valve also should not cost $50, PROBABLY not even on a stihl
The Echo 590/620 decomp valves are ridiculously expensive for some reason. My CS-600 needed one but I wasn’t gonna drop the coin, ended up making a plug from a Honda GX160 oil drain bolt. Worked great.

Thanks for the advice everyone. The saw just started and is running strong. I don't know what was up with it before, I tried to start it multiple times throughout the day and it just kept flooding within five pulls. If I have any more issues I'll take a look at the carb, but hopefully everything is ok now.

Delete the decomp altogether! You really don't need it on a60cc saw.

Latest posts

Back