Can I file a power saw upside down?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why do you want to push it up at all.
Someone taught me that, then I figured out it was a waste of time. Now I let the bar sag, adjust the chain then tighten it up, I've never had a problem.
Am I missing something.
Because that is the way it has always been done?

I think the idea is that despite best efforts to keep it in place, the bar will move a little. Since most cuts are made with the bottom of the bar, that will tend to slightly push it up. But pre-pushing it, you account for the chain slack that movement would have otherwise caused before tightening everything up.

Because that is the way it has always been done?

I think the idea is that despite best efforts to keep it in place, the bar will move a little. Since most cuts are made with the bottom of the bar, that will tend to slightly push it up. But pre-pushing it, you account for the chain slack that movement would have otherwise caused before tightening everything up.
I think that's the right answer, but it may not be the best thing to do.
I've heard that too(and still do), it just hasn't been my experience that the bars move.
The one time I've seen the bars move it when you get kickback in a bore cut.
What happens if the chain is adjusted and the bar is tightened when it's down and then the bar moves, vs what happens when the chain is adjusted and the bar is tightened in the up position and it moves?
In my opinion a lot of time has been wasted lifting bars to adjust the chain.

To stay on topic;
flipping the saw for sharpening heck yeah if it works for you go for it, I've done it many times when. I think if you sharpen enough you will figure out how to sharpen best for your situation.

I use my bench vice and point the bar to the right to sharpen one side, then just rotate the vice 90* to the left where the bar is sticking strait out and do the other side. I use my right hand for both sides. My bench is about three and a half feet high and with the saw clamped in the vice it's the perfect height.
Works like a charm. But I always have the bench vice handy here at the shop so I've been doing it that way for years.

Thanks Brett. The video did not turn out the way I wanted. I was trying to make it a constant flow of branches. Thought it was overlapping the clips. That was a pretty crazy tree to climb. Thanks for the welcome.
Welcome. That happens, the only editing I do on my videos is trimming the beginning and the end, some make the "cut" and others get deleted.
Sure looked like it :surprised3:.
Absolutely, if you need anything here shoot me a PM.

Hey guy , I've seen a video of a guy filing his chain with the saw in a vise upside down. I tried it for a minute and watched a little fuel leak out. My question is, will this harm the saw in any way? Will it flood the cylinder, mess up the carberator in any way? Is there any downside to flipping your saw upside down with fuel in it, or do I need to drain the fuel first? Thanks guys
Well over the years I've tried many tricks including saw upside down with gas cap tight.
One think I do to get the slop out of the chain while I'm filing is to slightly over tighten ( not running saw like that) the chain. Loosen and adjust when I'm ready to began cutting.
However, SELDOM do I get serious about filing a chain in the field. Normally change one out and sharpen in the shop.
In fact I seldom file a chain on a saw.
I built a filing jig. I'm a lefty but file using both hands.
I made an angle guide and after years of practice prefere hand filing.
Ill try to attach a photo of my jig.
The chain is always put on the bar backwards and I file from the nose end. The chain is tight. There is a sprocket that changes to fit pitch. It's not complicated just takes Thought and practice.
IMG_20180204_214600.jpgIMG_20191009_120740_356.jpg

because i can file very well in one direction. as soon as is switch to the other side, i lose ability. If i can flip the saw over...i can file both sides from my position direction. I reallize i need to develope my skills for both directions, but right now, im better on one direction.

I file upside down always. Learned that from a post in this site way back when.

You are correct that one can then file both sides using the same hand. I file one side standing alongside the bar, the other side standing at the end of the bar.

I,ve been told that by flipping the saw upside down after you file the
right side cutters and filing the left you eliminate the right side dominant
filing that causes one row of cutters to be shorter than the other side
Makes sense.
I file with the saw in a vise. Put it in upside down there is not need to flip it over after filing one side.

Back