Can the species of this tree be determined?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This is in northern west Virginia about 5 miles from the Ohio river. Nearby trees have been identified. Chestnut Oak, Buckeye, Tree of Heaven, Tulip Poplar, Maple, Beech. It is hard to see high enough to view a leaf but it seems I did get a picture, looks like a compound leaf. The bark looks like dogwood from the best books I find but doubt the size is correct for that as I have some small flowering dogwood. This is perhaps 3 feet diameter chest high.unknown tree shrunk.jpg unknown tree.ashrunk.jpg unknnown tree.bshrunk.jpg

Sassafras? We don't have it here but that would be my guess. The bark looks like a black cherry to me but not the leaves

I could give a Cliff Calvin on Jeopardy answer.

What did he say? what are three people who have never been in my kitchen...lol

" what kind of tree is this"?

What is a tree that I have never seen in my kitchen.

@sw oh logger doesn't post so much so I sure the heck would not bet against him.

Thanks for the responses. I have cherry and sassafras. There is a larger diameter one (perhaps) that the bark looks more like a cherry, I just call them wild cherry not yes knowledgeable about how many cherry choices exist, but not like this one that the crown is not visible. That one is a line tree though. I see both the persimmon and gum have sexes like my hedge apples. I will try and take a picture tomorrow, the branch structure can be see. I guess I can now know what sort of scraps on the ground to look for.

I could give a Cliff Calvin on Jeopardy answer.

What did he say? what are three people who have never been in my kitchen...lol

" what kind of tree is this"?

What is a tree that I have never seen in my kitchen.

@sw oh logger doesn't post so much so I sure the heck would not bet against him.
You know nothing of what you've never seen?

Thanks for the responses. I have cherry and sassafras. There is a larger diameter one (perhaps) that the bark looks more like a cherry, I just call them wild cherry not yes knowledgeable about how many cherry choices exist, but not like this one that the crown is not visible. That one is a line tree though. I see both the persimmon and gum have sexes like my hedge apples. I will try and take a picture tomorrow, the branch structure can be see. I guess I can now know what sort of scraps on the ground to look for.
The amazing thing with trees and part of why I find them so fascinating is that they are all different. Even trees of the same species growing right next to each other can have vastly different bark. Once in while when I am out with the Forester we will both get stumped for a second or two usually in winter time. For us both to stand there and contemplate it it is pretty remarkable for the amount of timber we have both seen. I really get a kick out of that. I once walked by this small tree for three days before I figured out it was an enormous sumac that had grown to full tree size. It blew my mind especially since it was completely alone as they tend to grow in thickets. I took extra care not to smash it with the enormous old oaks I was laying all around it.

The amazing thing with trees and part of why I find them so fascinating is that they are all different. Even trees of the same species growing right next to each other can have vastly different bark. Once in while when I am out with the Forester we will both get stumped for a second or two usually in winter time. For us both to stand there and contemplate it it is pretty remarkable for the amount of timber we have both seen. I really get a kick out of that. I once walked by this small tree for three days before I figured out it was an enormous sumac that had grown to full tree size. It blew my mind especially since it was completely alone as they tend to grow in thickets. I took extra care not to smash it with the enormous old oaks I was laying all around it.

Been ages since I heard that word, "thicket". We had a plum thicket on the hill below the house when I was a kid, good place to hide out and fill up on plums, just watch for the worms and the belly ache that came later along with the "green apple quick steps".

I was calling my tree of heaven in this spot sumac until the source of the flower parts became obvious. I think I have or the line and the neighbor have more of these black gum that I was considering cherry.

It might be a few more years until a true 3 feet the way the tall one looks today.black gum base.jpg black gum crown.jpg black gum line tree.jpg

The small horizontal area of the crown and the branches at right angles seems to fit what I read about Black Gum. It was real cold today there at least by standards I am used to.black gum base.jpg black gum crown.jpg black gum line tree.jpg

Back