Cannon Pole Pruner / Saw Guide Bars

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hopefully, it will let me cut more of the limb from the top, reducing the risk of pinching a bar at elevation. It is significantly heavier (19.3 ounces) than the OEM bar (11.7 ounces). Might make the pole saw unwieldy? Maybe that weight will help at elevation?

Philbert

I like the concept. I will look forward to seeing what you think of it.

What size chain does it run?

The angle of the bar is a definite plus. A friend bought one and it's much easier to cut a limb cleanly. As you stated it greatly reduces pinch hazard.

You're correct on your other observation also. Because of the angle, you're cutting more from the top and the limb is holding the weight during the cut, making the cut quicker and easier to hold the pole during the cut.

What size chain does it run?

If you follow the link in the first post to the Cannon site, they list 3 different mounting patterns (call to check for your pole saw); 10" or 12" lengths; and .043 or .050 gauges - 12 models total. They are hard nose bars (no nose sprocket) so Cannon says that each bar can run 1/4, .325, or 3/8 pitch chain.

As a practical matter, many pole saws / power pruners have smaller motors, and smaller pitch chains often cut more smoothly with the smaller diameter limbs that these saws cut, so 1/4" or 3/8 low profile ('Picco') probably work best. I plan to run 3/8 low profile / narrow kerf chain (Oregon type 90) chain on mine.

Surprisingly, even though a lot of guys make fun of the bumpers on low kickback ('green'), they are popular on pole saws since they reduce the vibration when cutting smaller limbs and branches.

Philbert

Good news (I called Cannon to verify):

I ordered this bar to work with narrow kerf chain (Oregon Type 90, 3/8, low profile, .043 gauge), and the entire bar is thinner than the .050 gauge models. They could have just made the groove different, but they did it right, and the entire bar is thinner (and lighter?).

Philbert

That news about the bar being thinner would sell me on it. I actually only knew about these a few days ago and did not have to think very hard before I realized that it looked like a great idea.

I think the additional weight is a small price for increased usability. I hope they have a patent on it because at least in theory, it looks like a great idea.

* UPDATE *

As noted, I bought this angled bar to use with some of the powered pole pruners ('PPP'!) I use, and happy to find that the same mount fit my personal powered pole pruners ('PPPP'!) - 40V Oregon, battery-powered models, as well as the STIHL HT131/133 models that I sometimes use.

Heartbreaking to find that although the bar fit the mounting slot, adjusting holes, and oiling holes for the Oregon products, the angled design did not clear the covers, and would not work without significant modification to the pole pruners.

IMG_1141.jpg

It did appear to fit the STIHL models when test fit at my local dealer.

IMG_1217.jpg
IMG_1216.jpg

So, I still like the idea of this bar, but want to caution purchasers to verify the fit with their pole saw, and not just the mount pattern, unless they are willing to modify the saw head.

If Cannon would make a full-size template of the bar available (via PDF download), it could save some time and returns, even if they have not test fit the bars on every pole saw on the market.

Philbert

*UPDATE*

Just got a good deal on a lightly used STHIL HT131, and I have several close-out boxes of Oregon 'R40' chain (3/8" low pro / .043"), so I may be back in business with this bar!

Philbert

Folks need to be aware that undercutting to relive tension may not be possible with the Cannon angled bar. Mine cut great from the top but pushed away, like a Cat track when undercutting. I would limit myself to 3" or smaller limbs that don't need the underside cut. For that, it sure beats the strait bar.

Latest posts

Back