carbon chain or ripping milling chains

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joemarty

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
To the chainsaw milling guys. Would I be better off buying two carbon chains. or 100 feet of ripping chain. They run about same price. Would it be better too have 3 cabon chains to run or 12 ripping chains too run. I never have run a carbon chain for milling.But what i have read it all sounds good.Just need some help please.

joemarty I got the doe put dont know where best place too put it.:rolleyes:

chain

Does the carbon chain sharpen with a file or do you need a special wheel? The only difference I could see between rip and regular chain was the angle on the tooth. Somebody enlighten me please.

Chains with silicon carbide inserts have to be sharpened with a diamond grinder. Those teeth are much harder than steel.

If joemarty means CARBIDE chain, like I see in the Sherril catalog, you sure don't sharpen it with a file, you would need either a green wheel or better yet, a diamond wheel. But then what do I know about carbide chain saw teeth?:confused:

Happiness is sawdust in your shorts.

G'day,

Dammit Kevin, ya always beat me to the post!!! LOL. I agree with you, specially if you got the 27RA, MAN that stuff can cut. I had to put a winch on the 090 to slow it down....... Thanks for the tip.
Cheers
Charlie.

G'day Kevin,

I got no chance now - you guys just put your clocks forward, and we just put ours back!!!
Cheers
Charlie.

rip chain

Get the rip chain without the carbide. Price the diamond wheel and a good sharpener to put it on. You can buy a lot of regular rip chain for that price.

Latest posts

Back