Stihl 028 WB bar and chain size

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Doesn't seem bad to me.
View attachment 1102361
Not take a good running saw apart bad anyways. ;^)
It is hard to tell how thick the carbon buildup is on the piston crown from just a photo. Also can't see how much carbon is in the chamber.

Carbon can also artificially inflate the saw's compression and cover up worn out rings. Depending on age and hours the saw might benefit from a new set of rings.

Stihl Ultra is a 20+ year old FB formula oil. FB oils have no detergents so will build up carbon. The current spec for 2-stroke oil is JASO "FD" which has detergent additives and is much superior to the older FB oils.

BTW, why is this (and previous photos) 5 months old?

It is hard to tell how thick the carbon buildup is on the piston crown from just a photo. Also can't see how much carbon is in the chamber.

Carbon can also artificially inflate the saw's compression and cover up worn out rings. Depending on age and hours the saw might benefit from a new set of rings.

Stihl Ultra is a 20+ year old FB formula oil. FB oils have no detergents so will build up carbon. The current spec for 2-stroke oil is JASO "FD" which has detergent additives and is much superior to the older FB oils.

BTW, why is this (and previous photos) 5 months old?
Guess I haven't set the date in the borescope. They are fresh shots.
So you guys made me go poke around, and I found a 16" 325 bar and chain on a nail in the shed. Sharpened up the chain, (after this pic)
KIMG4322.JPG
did a few test cuts and it'll be good for now!

Guess I haven't set the date in the borescope. They are fresh shots.
So you guys made me go poke around, and I found a 16" 325 bar and chain on a nail in the shed. Sharpened up the chain, (after this pic)
View attachment 1102664
did a few test cuts and it'll be good for now!
Looks good and I bet it will surprise you how much faster the short bar makes cuts with much less vibration using the correct pitch setup. Switching to a higher quality oil will wash out a lot of the carbon over time.

Latest posts

Back