Stihl 025 chain won't fit with a rim sprocket

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtwilson728

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a Stihl 025 with a 16" bar running a Oregon 91VXL055G which is a 3/8 low pro .050 chain. I purchased a Stihl P-7 rim sprocket but with the tensioner all the way loose the chain will not fit over the bar and sprocket. The bar is as close to the sprocket as it can get. Everywhere I look I have all the right components so I'm not sure what's going wrong.

I have a Stihl 025 with a 16" bar running a Oregon 91VXL055G which is a 3/8 low pro .050 chain. I purchased a Stihl P-7 rim sprocket but with the tensioner all the way loose the chain will not fit over the bar and sprocket. The bar is as close to the sprocket as it can get. Everywhere I look I have all the right components so I'm not sure what's going wrong.
Pics?

Silly quest but have you counted the links ? I had a figment issue a while back and counted the links and was two short on a brand new chain.

Next question is are you putting the chain on the bar before you put the bar/chain on the saw ?
Ive tried several of my chains so I don't think its the wrong amount of links but I will count them when I get a chance. I've tried putting the chain on the bar first, I've tried putting the chain on the sprocket first, it eems like the chain us too small for a rim sprocket. It fits fine on a drum sprocket so i guess thats what I'll go back to.

Ive tried several of my chains so I don't think its the wrong amount of links but I will count them when I get a chance. I've tried putting the chain on the bar first, I've tried putting the chain on the sprocket first, it eems like the chain us too small for a rim sprocket. It fits fine on a drum sprocket so i guess thats what I'll go back to.
Is the spur Sprocket a 6 or 7t? Same with the rim.
LP 3/8 rims are a slightly different diameter than a standard 3/8

reread your post. So, 7t rim…is the old spur a 6?
you will need a 56 or 57DL chain, up from he normal 55

May seem obvious, but try just putting the chain over the sprocket and then get the bar into place. You can judge closer that way how many links you may be short.

Is the spur Sprocket a 6 or 7t? Same with the rim.
LP 3/8 rims are a slightly different diameter than a standard 3/8

reread your post. So, 7t rim…is the old spur a 6?
you will need a 56 or 57DL chain, up from he normal 55
The drum sprocket is a 6T and the rim sprocket is a 7T. So i will need a 56 or 57 DL chain?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240105-214332.png
    Screenshot_20240105-214332.png
    865.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20240105-214422.png
    Screenshot_20240105-214422.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 1
So it doesn't matter the bar says 55 DL?
It usually goes with a 6t sprocket.
but…the ms250s came with a 7 so should be the same as the older 025…odd. Did that saw originally have a small nose 3005 mount or the larger nose 3005? I wonder if a standard 7t 3/8 rim would be just small enough to allow the 55 to “fit”.

It usually goes with a 6t sprocket.
but…the ms250s came with a 7 so should be the same as the older 025…odd. Did that saw originally have a small nose 3005 mount or the larger nose 3005? I wonder if a standard 7t 3/8 rim would be just small enough to allow the 55 to “fit”.
I actually bought a 3/8-7 rim by mistake and it didn't fit so I bought the P-7 which is the picco rim thinking thats why the chain didn't fit, but neither allow the chain to fit. I'm just gonna go with the drum sprocket because I have a ms210 that runs the same chains and I don't wanna have to get a mix of 55 and 56 dl chains. Thanks for your help.

I actually bought a 3/8-7 rim by mistake and it didn't fit so I bought the P-7 which is the picco rim thinking thats why the chain didn't fit, but neither allow the chain to fit. I'm just gonna go with the drum sprocket because I have a ms210 that runs the same chains and I don't wanna have to get a mix of 55 and 56 dl chains. Thanks for your help.
An excuse to get chain making tools 😁

I actually converted one of these from .325 to 3/8"LP (picco) and standard length chain about 5-7 years ago. I seem to remember that it was a bit tough to get a standard chain on but it did fit.

For your situation...

1. Are you sure that you got the correct rim? Part number should be 0000-642-1240 - 3/8"LP 7-T.

2. Do you have the front or side tensioner? One may allow more bar adjustment than the other.

3. Have you tried a used chain? A little stretch may be your friend.

4. :thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpictures:

Latest posts

Back